Rules question - flank attacks

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Paul H

Rules question - flank attacks

Post by Paul H »

In my game against Marc H yesterday, he had two groups of Gallic noble cavalry in column. I wanted to attack them in the flank with a group of Numidian cavalry. It looks from the rules that in this situation 1) the Numidians have to fight both groups of nobles; 2) each group of nobles contributes 10 dice (and both their leaders could fight too) - so that even halved for the flank attack, the Gauls would have the better of it. (I didn't attack!)

This implies that two groups in column resist a flank attack better than say, two groups in line with a third group in support.

Is that correct?

Paul H
Captain Reid

Re: Rules question - flank attacks

Post by Captain Reid »

Yes, I think so. While I strongly suspect it's an unintended consequence of the terrible need in ancients rules for units to 'conform in melee', I don't think it gives an unreasonable result: the target is still very hampered, it's just he's not as hampered as he would be had he been strung out in line as, presumably, it's easier for most of the men in the column to get to grips than it is for those in an extended line.

One might argue that a flank attack should be more devastating, regardless but presuming a figure represents two men, you'd be talking about a dozen fairly poorly armed and protected warriors charging two dozen well armed and armoured warriors . . .
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.
Paul H

Post by Paul H »

Damn you, Captain, I am convinced.

Marc, if you are reading, well done for reading the rules right.
Marc Hameleers

Post by Marc Hameleers »

😁

Together we had all of them right, you helped me out as well a few times. For a first live play, not bad between us. Can't wait for the 2nd game!
Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking »

The Captain is as always spot on - Equally 6 unarmored mounted skirmishers with only a shield and javelin attacking 14 (including Leaders who are the best of the best), fresh, elite, armoured warriors should not end well!

The Numidians should do what they do well and that is act as an irritant to the nobles, who will struggle to catch them, hitting them with unlimited ammo and the vipers characteristic! :twisted:

Don
Marc Hameleers

Post by Marc Hameleers »

In the end the numidians died to lucky slingers and an ambush by Gallic infantry
Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking »

Marc Hameleers wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:08 pm In the end the numidians died to lucky slingers and an ambush by Gallic infantry
:lol: It's always the way!

Don