Lard America at Cold Wars 2019

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

e.bowen

Lard America at Cold Wars 2019

Post by e.bowen »

Hello fellow Ladies,

We were fortunate at Fall-In to have a nice area for all our Lard America games (thanks to Bill and Dan). Hopefully we can repeat this at Cold Wars.

I'd like to try and run this like we did this past Fall-In. That is to say, if possible please submit your game info to Patrick and me prior to submitting to HMGS formally. In this manner we can try and get the games as spread out over the two days as possible (and also not have 3 What A Tanker games, for example, scheduled at the same time). Something like this:

Hours requested (example 1300-1700)
Game Rules Used
# of hours
# of Players
Table size (i.e., 6x10)
Game Title
Period (i.e., AWI, WWII)

I'll put the games on a spreadsheet and submit to the Events Coordinator (Dan M.). Like Fall-in, games will be scheduled with a 1 hour set-up and 1 hour tear down buffers.

Example
Ed Set-up - 8:00
Ed Game - 9:00-1:00
Ed Tear down - 1:00-2:00
Patrick Set-up - 2:00-3:00
Patrick Game - 3:00-7:00
Patrick Tear down. - 7:00-8:00

For Fall-In we requested 5 blocks of tables each for Friday and Saturday. Patrick and I worked with Bill White, the Fall-In Events Coordinator throughout the planning process and hopefully the spreadsheet schedules were of help to him.

Here are the important dates:

Cold Wars DATE DEADLINE
Oct. 28, 2018 / Events Submission Opens
Dec. 8, 2018 / Events Submission (PEL) Deadline
Dec. 22, 2018 / Events Listing (PEL) Published

How about we shoot for 1 Dec to have our schedule finalized? I will keep Dan and Bill apprised of our status as we progress.

Any questions or concerns, let Patrick and me know.

Thank you,

Ed B.
e.bowen

Re: Lard America at Cold Wars 2019

Post by e.bowen »

We've got 13 games scheduled for Cold Wars in Lancaster Pa. (March 14-17, 2019). Games include Sharp Practice, What A Tanker, Chain of Command, I Ain't Been Shot Mum and Dux Britanniarum.

Looking forward to a great convention.
Cold Steel

Post by Cold Steel »

I will be running a General d'Armee game in the RAW club room Friday at 1 PM.
e.bowen

Post by e.bowen »

rep1387

Post by rep1387 »

Anyone running a Bag the Hun or If the Lord Spares Us at Cold Wars this year? I'm interested in seeing how these games play. Thanks - Dave
e.bowen

Post by e.bowen »

No one from our group is running one of those. Here are the games Lard America is running at Cold Wars:

Lard America at Cold Wars 2019 – Friday

F: 185: 09 - A Cow! A Cow! My Kingdom for a Cow!
Friday, 9:00 AM, 4 hrs, Players: 4 players
GM: Edward Bowen, Sponsor:
Period: American War for Independence, Scale: 28mm, Rules: Sharp Practice
It's 1781 down south and the British are on the move without supply wagons. Reports from loyalists in the region indicate a farm nearby owned by a n'er do well patriot. There are cows aplenty just waiting for enterprising British soldiers to appropriate for the King. Will the British get the cows? Or will the Continentals intercede? You will decide. Sign up for skirmish action in the AWI - beginners are welcome.

F: 443: 09 - The Defense of Khatisino
Friday, 9:00 AM, 4 hrs, Players: 4 players
GM: Ed Leland, Sponsor:
Period: World War II, Scale: 28mm, Rules: Big Chain of Command
In early 1942, Soviets exploited holes in the German Defenses to link up Cavalry and Airborne forces with the large Partisan forces between Smolensk and Vyazma to form Group Belov. On May 24, 1942, 19. Panzer Division began an offensive to finally eliminate Group Belov. Some familiarity with the rules is helpful.

F: 186: 10 - Probe at Bas Mouen
Friday, 10:00 AM, 4 hrs, Players: 4 players
GM: Andrew Frantz, Sponsor:
Period: World War II, Scale: 20mm, Rules: Chain of Command
A company of the 3rd Battalion, Monmouthshire Regiment have gotten lost and find themselves in an unrecognizable village. The commander orders the men to hunker down for the night. Unbeknownst to them, this bivouac lies directly in the path of a German counterattack planned for the morning. As dawn breaks, the Tommies are faced by the combined infantry and armor of Kampfgruppe Frey. Can they hold long enough for reinforcements to arrive? Will the Germans reach their objectives beyond Mouen?

F: 248: 10 - Hauts-Vents
Friday, 10:00 AM, 4 hrs, Players: 6 players
GM: Thomas Ballou, Sponsor:
Period: World War II, Scale: 15mm, Rules: I Ain't Been Shot Mum!
July 10, 1944, Northwest of St.Lo the 30th Infantry Division was tasked with driving south and securing the immediate west flank of the Vire River. Task Force X an American combined arms team drove towards the town of Haut-Vents. Opposing the US drive were beleaguered elements of Battlegroup Heintz. Though relatively new to Normandy, the unit had taken over 30% casualties by 9 July. The soldiers of Battlegroup Heintz struggled to hold until reinforcements from Panzer Lehr, could relieve them.

F: 255: 15 - Mourir Pour Cao Bang
Friday, 3:00 PM, 3 hrs, Players: 4 players
GM: Patrick Berkebile, Sponsor:
Period: Modern French Indochina, Scale: 28mm, Rules: TooFatLardies Chain of Command
Viet Minh forces have been eliminating lightly-held blockhouses and strongpoints all along the De Lattre Line. Lead a ragtag force of colonial infantry and French paras defending a blockhouse and key checkpoint on Route Colonial-4 as the various garrisons make their way south -- Or --Lead a reinforced platoon of Viet Minh as they try to knock it out with their newly-arrived arsenal of weapons from China.

F: 307: 15 - Clodwig Wodenborn finds God
Friday, 3:00 PM, 4 hrs, Players: 4 players
GM: Gunnar Lopez, Sponsor:
Period: Dark Ages, Scale: 28mm, Rules: Dux Britanniarum by Too Fat Lardies
After a great victory, Clodwig Wodenborn has returned to the Domain of Soissons for one final heist before the end of the campaign season. This time, he is raiding a Christian church, seeking all manner of riches from the temple of the Christ-God. Malumus Sexus and Maximus Minimus must protect the house of the Lord, because God helps those who help themselves.

F: 249: 16 - Morning of the 902nd
Friday, 4:00 PM, 4 hrs, Players: 6 players
GM: Thomas Ballou, Sponsor:
Period: World War II, Scale: 15mm, Rules: I Ain't Been Shot Mum!
On 10 July, attacks by Task Force X, of Combat Command B had stalled by the final stand of Kampfgruppe Heintz. The Commander of the 902nd Panzer Grenadier Regiment, Panzer Lehr, Oberstleutnant Welsch was assigned supporting armor for the assault and the combined force formed together as"Kampfgruppe Welsch". The German forces would attempt a pre-dawn break-up of the expected US advance to delay the US juggernaut for another day.

F: 250: 16 - Dust up in the Desert
Friday, 4:00 PM, 4 hrs, Players: 6 players
GM: Eric Boyle, Sponsor:
Period: World War II, Scale: 28mm, Rules: Chain of Command
A skirmish between British and Italian platoons over a Libyan desert oasis. A Chain of Command demo game. If you have always wanted to try these WWII skirmish rules from Too Fat Lardies here is your chance. Familiar with the rules but never played Italians? Sign up! New players and experienced players all welcome for a fun early war clash in the desert.

Lard America at Cold Wars 2019 – Saturday

S: 288: 10 - What a Tanker! - Rats versus Rams
Saturday, 10:00 AM, 3 hrs, Players: 6 players
GM: Chris Thomas, Sponsor:
Period: World War II, Scale: 15mm, Rules: What a Tanker!
Interested in trying your hand at Too Fat Lardies's widely acclaimed tank combat game? Tired of fighting over the same stone farmhouses and hedgerows? Travel with us deep into the Libyan Desert as we play out an early war duel between the Desert Rats of Britain's famed 7th Armoured Division and the overwhelmed, but determined men of the Italian 132nd Armored Division Ariete. Can you live up to the Rats' triumph at Beda Fomm or will you drive the British invaders back to the Suez?

S: 214: 09 - Highway to Halle
Saturday, 9:00 AM, 4 hrs, Players: 10 players
GM: Joe Moore, Sponsor:
Period: World War II, Scale: 15mm, Rules: Oh What a Tanker
Soviet and German tanks mert in the waning days of the war. Easy rules that will be taught. Children 12 and under welcome with a playing adult.

S: 195: 13 - Heart of Stonne
Saturday, 1:00 PM, 4 hrs, Players: 4 players
GM: John Emmett, Sponsor:
France 1940 - On 14 May the 10th Panzer Division and the GD Regiment fought an intense engagement against the French 3rd DCR, finally capturing the village of Stonne later in the day. On 15 May the weary Germans faced an assault by French infantry of the 55th and armored elements of the 3rd DCR. Try your luck at an uncommon French counter-attack or see how dynamic of a German defense you can mount. Either way, it's the"Game of Kings" with a sweet GM.

S: 295: 15 - Counterattack at Suomussalmi
Saturday, 3:00 PM, 4 hrs, Players: 4 players
GM: Jeff Kimmel, Sponsor:
After stalling the initial Soviet attacks, the Finnish forces gathered reinforcements to counterattack the 163rd Rifle Division, the lead elements of which had occupied the ruins of Suomussalmi. In the deteriorating weather conditions, the Finns prepared to take the fight to the invader.

S: 254: 19 - Mourir Pour Cao Bang
Saturday, 7:00 PM, 3 hrs, Players: 4 players
GM: Patrick Berkebile, Sponsor:
Period: Modern French Indochina, Scale: 28mm, Rules: TooFatLardies Chain of Command
Viet Minh forces have been eliminating lightly-held blockhouses and strongpoints all along the De Lattre Line. Lead a ragtag force of colonial infantry and French paras defending a blockhouse and key checkpoint on Route Colonial-4 as the various garrisons make their way south -- Or --Lead a reinforced platoon of Viet Minh as they try to knock it out with their newly-arrived arsenal of weapons from China.
rep1387

Post by rep1387 »

Thanks, hopefully I'll be able to get in a game.