Sharp Practice Open Event at AdeptiCon 2021

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

mugginns

Sharp Practice Open Event at AdeptiCon 2021

Post by mugginns » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:55 pm

Hey everyone,

I am really keen to replicate what @Captain Reid has done with open events in the UK here in the USA.

If you're not sure what I mean, read the latest Lard Special - on page 84 Dave talks all about them.

This would essentially be an event where you show up with your own models (or borrow a force from someone else) and play two or three games. You wouldn't have to run your own game. We might make it a team event to help share the load of painting models / making sure you know all your rules. This wouldn't be a tournament, per se. You can read more in Dave's article, he says it really well. It'd be a narrative event where you get some games in.

To make it easier to get a first event going, I'd planned to do Napoleonic in the Peninsula (28mm). Plastics are widely available for this setting and would make it easy. We'd not be doing a huge point value, say 50-60 models. If we team game it then you'd only be responsible for half that.

Anyway, I'd like to throw this out for March 2021 in Schaumburg, ILL (suburb of Chicago, easily flyable). I'd prefer to have it on Saturday so people could travel easier, but Sunday is also likely as the space for Saturday is really hard. If you're not interested in any other AdeptiCon stuff (there are a ton of other historical games going) you could just attend for this event.

I'm trying to share this all over so I can get an idea if anyone would be interested. I'd run it if we had four players, I'd run it if we had 24 players. We'd split in half by Allies / French and narrative play it that way. Hopefully we could get it going and in a few years have a really cool event that could really showcase Lard America while also being something you get to enjoy rather than having to run. Please post here if you'd be interested and you realistically think you could make it.

Captain Reid

Re: Sharp Practice Open Event at AdeptiCon 2021

Post by Captain Reid » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:32 pm

It'd be great to see open events spread to a fourth country.

I do wonder if your civil war would attract more players than Peninsular though? The Peninsular is great because of the sheer variety of troop types and uniforms but the civil war always seems a huge draw on the wrong side of the Atlantic.

Anything I can do to help, let me know
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

mugginns

Re: Sharp Practice Open Event at AdeptiCon 2021

Post by mugginns » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:33 pm

Captain Reid wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:32 pm
It'd be great to see open events spread to a fourth country.

I do wonder if your civil war would attract more players than Peninsular though? The Peninsular is great because of the sheer variety of troop types and uniforms but the civil war always seems a huge draw on the wrong side of the Atlantic.

Anything I can do to help, let me know
Honestly it seems like a lot of players here have 15mm or smaller ACW armies or plan on using them and aren't interested in 28mm. However, I'd like to do Napoleonic once or twice then swerve to ACW when people are hooked =)