Anti tank guns anyone?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Tomm

Re: Anti tank guns anyone?

Post by Tomm »

I'm from a roleplaying more than wargaming background so the idea of giving players on the same side convergent but not identical win conditions is a natural one.
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Tomm wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:10 pm I'm from a roleplaying more than wargaming background so the idea of giving players on the same side convergent but not identical win conditions is a natural one.
Now that sounds interesting. I did something like that awhile back for a multi-player anciets battle. Its good as long as the players keep their victory conditions secret.
JimLeCat

Post by JimLeCat »

I always thought it was de rigour to write conflicting orders in multi-player games! I've played in some great games done like that and always try to do it in any scenario I setup...

Nowt to do with roleplaying in my book, just a handy source of friction! ;^D
Tomm

Post by Tomm »

I was trying to avoid saying, "Because Durham produces gits".
comdotski

Post by comdotski »

Not having checked in on this forum, nor the Lard Mag 2019, I had redundantly developed a draft set of rules for ATGs. I finally got around to writing these up yesterday in preparation for an upcoming game (I originally trialed these back in Nov 2019), and was going to post here for comment. Well seems I have missed that boat. I will post though, as I have some additions to what is here and in the Lard Mag (although happy to see some common themes too!). My starting point was the Ambush! expansion from Lard Mag 2018 ... so see below and I guess I'll be adjusting this based on the Lard Mag 2019 which I just purchased!!

Let me know what you think!

Tim

(by the way ... this is my first post!)

What an Anti-Tanker!
These rules expand on the ‘What an Ambush!’ extension to ‘What a Tanker!’ to incorporate anti-tank guns (ATGs) into the game.

General
ATGs us the same mechanics as a tank laying in ambush as per page 96-97 of Lard Magazine 2018, but with the following modifications.

Initial Placement
When the ATG is placed on the table, it can take up any facing.

Attributes for ATGs
The special attributes of an ATG are Low Profile, Small, TD and ATG. All normal attributes are as per the basic rules, while ‘ATG’ allows any one dice to be turned into a Reload or Fire dice).

Die Rolls
A ‘1’ is a MOVE die as usual, but is only used to rotate the ATG up to 60 degrees. Otherwise ATG cannot be relocated.
ATGs are always Unbuttoned. So, a 2 on the command dice is no use to the ATG, unless it can be modified to another die using one of the unit’s special attributes.
All other die rolls are used as per normal, including the special provisions of Ambush.

Fire against an ATG
When firing at an ATG, the opposing Tanker or Anti-Tanker can decide to either:
1. Fire at the manning crew, or
2. Fire at the ATG itself.

Choosing method 1, the Strike of the firing gun is used (assuming a high explosive shell) against the crew, who are assumed to be emplaced and thus have an ‘armour’ of 5 (adjust this number as appropriate). Use the same method as versus a tank to determine the result, except:
a. Superficial hits are ignored (crew are protected by the emplacement)
b. Ignore Hull Hit permanent damage results (the shell has impacted the ground and affected the crew only)
c. The second permanent damage Turret Hit means 2 DRIVE dice are required for each <= 60 degree CA change instead of one (the gun carriage is damaged).

Choosing method 2, adds +2 to the target roll (a gun shield is hard to hit). The Strike of the firing gun is used (assuming an armour piercing round) against the gun shield, which uses its armour die or dice to save. Use the same method as versus a tank to determine the result, except:
a. Superficial hits are ignored (crew are protected by the emplacement)
b. All other hits are treated as Turret Hits (after all the Gun shield was hit)
c. The second Turret Hit means 2 DRIVE dice are required for each <= 60 degree CA change instead of one (the gun carriage is damaged).

Extra Optional Extras

Being Prepared
The ATG position can be designated as Prepared, or Even Better Prepared. A Prepared ATG allows one of the command dice to be placed ready on their dashboard as a wild dice at the beginning of the game. An Even Better Prepared ATG can repeat the Prepared step twice, leaving 2 wild dice ready on their dashboard.
This replicates the ATG position being ready for the attack, loaded and perhaps with bore sighting, or more generally the advantage of being hidden and getting the first strike.

Concealment
Prior to being placed on board, an opposing Tanker can try to expose a dummy or real ambusher, by a successful Aim, however, an additional 2 Aim die are required to do so, over and above all other Aim modifiers.