Movie Recommendations for What a Tanker!

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

changl09

Re: Movie Recommendations for What a Tanker!

Post by changl09 »

From across the Iron Curtain there is also Czterej pancerni i pies (four tank-men and a Dog) about a T-34 crew. Supposedly a Warsaw Pact favorite show.
Saturnismus

Post by Saturnismus »

Tali Ihantala 1944 has a lot of authentic running tanks. As a movie it's more like a documentary, lacking in story and character development but that gives more room for tanks and action. :)
https://youtu.be/WtZBlvvoLdc
genew49

Post by genew49 »

Five Graves to Cairo with Franchot Tone, a 20 year old Ann Baxter and Eric von Stroheim as Rommel. Tank are featured, also Grants, at the very beginning and very end of the film. Lots of fun in between though.
http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/2884 ... iler-.html
Seret

Post by Seret »

Carlson793 wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 5:35 am Watch it! Just...watch it!Excellent cast, gritty story, and Tank Museum loaned 'em Tiger 131 for the Tiger vs Shermans scene.
For the sake of balance: I really wanted to like this movie, but it's just terrible. Trite story full of holes and cliched scenes, uninteresting characters, poor casting, and the battle scenes aren't even that good. The central premise of the film is that soldiers can only become effective when they've built up enough "fury" and hatred for the enemy, which is bollocks IMO. Don't bother watching the whole movie for the tank bits, just watch those scenes on Youtube. So yeah, when it comes to "Fury", YMMV.
vlad48

Post by vlad48 »

Three big additions to the list.
- Bridge Too Far which features a fairly impressive depiction of 30 Corps during Market Garden
- the Market Garden episode of Band of Brothers which features an extremely realistic confrontation that includes Cromwells, a Stug and a Tiger plus other vehicles (I rate this sequence as the best non-documentary depiction of combat that includes tanks ever filmed)
- the finale of Saving Private Ryan. While the sequence with the pistol firing and then a Mustang destroying a Tiger is a little too cinematic for me the sequence offers two important lessons for gamers.
1. tanks, even powerful tanks are vulnerable in constricted spaces in battered urban areas (ie narrow streets)
2. in all discussion of hidden movement - keep in mind these tanks were LOUD - you can hear that diesel engine a long way off; you may not know what kind of tank it is, but you know it is there
Nick

Post by Nick »

Without doubt that clip in Bridge Too Far when Horrocks drives along the column of armour waiting to advance is a wonderful piece of cinema.

Also tweeting as @Dozibugger https://twitter.com/Dozibugger
And don't forget to follow Toofatlardies on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Toofatlardies/
Wulf

Post by Wulf »

There's a Russian series of films, one of which is on Kursk (I can't remember if that one is called 'Liberation' or if that's the name of the series) which, while very Hollywood, does have a whole load of period Russian tanks (and some vaguely convincing Panther & Tiger stand-ins) hurtling across open ground. The crew of a Russian & German tank end up fist-fighting in a pond while trying to escape burning tanks... The series as a whole is packed full of period stuff, T-34, SU-100, etc., plus uniforms & equipment for the CoC player. Very Hollywood, as I say, but good stuff.

Unfortunately, I bought mine while it was Russian only, no dub, no subs. I believe there's now a Western release, not sure if it's dubbed or subbed. Worth it for the deeply unflattering portrayal of a comedy Mussolini...

On another note, one thing I did like about 'White Tiger' (actually I liked the whole thing...) was the T-34's 85mm gun hitting the ground in a deeply rutted road, and getting clogged up. A detail often ignored in any game...
Wulf

Post by Wulf »

Nick wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:54 am Without doubt that clip in Bridge Too Far when Horrocks drives along the column of armour waiting to advance is a wonderful piece of cinema.
The thing I liked about that film was the use of real German tanks. OK, they were Cold War era Leopards, but they were Real German Tanks... And they actually looked the part. They made quite decently convincing Panthers without any work (given there were no real Panthers available...)
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Whilst I liked A Bridge Too Far as a movie........
If you haven't seen this then its a must see

Would make a great club night movie

Real Panthers, real Tigers and real men

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiFeYxlPYy4
vlad48

Post by vlad48 »

Truscott,
That feature-length docu-recreation of Arnhem was an amazing find - thanks for posting.