Movie Recommendations for What a Tanker!

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Ratatosk

Movie Recommendations for What a Tanker!

Post by Ratatosk »

Inspired by sturmwinds brilliant thread Book Recommendations for What a Tanker!, I would like to ask the question: Which movies do you recommend for full What a Tanker! immersion?

What I found so far is:
  • Kelly's Heroes (1970) – Classic, comic, anachronistic, Eastwood and Sutherland flick.
  • Patton (1970) – Epic story of Patton, with some impressive full scale tank scenes.
  • Belyy tigr/The White Tiger (2012) – Haven't seen yet, but supposedly quite good, though anachronistic, Russian movie. The title hints at the enemy being a Tiger II, since white tiger is a variant of the Bengal tiger (or Königstiger as it is called in german).
  • Sahara (1943) – Haven't seen yet, but very tempting since it is made during the war. Bogart!
  • Battle of the Bulge (1965) – Haven't seen yet, but the name says it all. With Henry Fonda and Robert Shaw.
  • Fury (2014) – Haven't seen yet. Brad Pitt in a Sherman.
DeRuyter

Re: Movie Recommendations for What a Tanker!

Post by DeRuyter »

Actually the "White Tiger" represents some sort of ghost/zombie tank that goes around shooting up T-34s. It looks similar to a Tiger I but not really, which might be down to the fancy of the prop crew on the movie! Full disclosure I have only seen clips on YT.

Most of the movies that come to mind have a lot of infantry action mixed in, like "A Bridge Too Far" or episodes of "Band of Brothers". "Cross of Iron" and "Panfilov's 28" feature tank attacks but not really much tank vs tank combat. How about: "The Desert Fox" or "The Battle of El Alamein". Haven't seen those though.
NTM

Post by NTM »

Brew Up

Post by Brew Up »

"They Were Not Divided," not really a tank film as such but the story is based around the Welsh Guards,

Full Film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zobTzHsrKc4

Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Were_Not_Divided

A good watch and some nice footage of tanks.
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I can reccomend Sahara not only is Bogey great it features a Grant
Last edited by Truscott Trotter on Sat May 12, 2018 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
changl09

Post by changl09 »

DeRuyter wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 3:29 pm Actually the "White Tiger" represents some sort of ghost/zombie tank that goes around shooting up T-34s. It looks similar to a Tiger I but not really, which might be down to the fancy of the prop crew on the movie! Full disclosure I have only seen clips on YT.
I've always seen White Tiger as some sort of retelling of Moby Dick.
There is a Japanese movie called "The Legend of Tank Commander Nishizumi", pretty hard to find. A war propaganda film made in 1940 about a tank commander of a Chi-Ro in Sino-Japanese War. It is the inspiration for the main character in Girls und Panzer though.
Carlson793

Post by Carlson793 »

Tank (1984)
James Garner is a US Army officer recently assigned to a Georgia base that's supposed to be his last posting before retirement. He runs afoul of the local law one night, which leads to his teenage son being arrested on trumped up drug charges. What's the only thing any father can do? Yup: take his privately owned, refurbished Sherman and break his son out of jail.

Stupid fun, but gives a nice look at the cramped confines of an AFV in operation, both unbuttoned and buttoned up.
Carlson793

Post by Carlson793 »

Ratatosk wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:18 pm Kelly's Heroes (1970)
Always a classic. With so many positive waves, you can't possibly lose with this one. Even the backwards-T-34 Tigers worked.
Ratatosk wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:18 pmPatton (1970)
Worth it more for the a look at Patton than the tank battles. Contemporary 70s tanks standing in for WWII AFVs.
Ratatosk wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:18 pm Belyy tigr/The White Tiger (2012)
The Tiger in the title is a Tiger I that's been painted white so it can hide in the smoke of all the T-34s it's destroyed. Moby Dick is an apt comparison. The faux-Tiger that was built for the movie was actually pretty decent. Buttoned up three-man T-34 crew.
Ratatosk wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:18 pmBattle of the Bulge (1965)
Gives a decent overview of the Ardennes Offensive, though it suffers the same problem Patton does: contemporary 50s/60s tanks portraying WWII tanks.
Ratatosk wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:18 pmFury (2014)
Watch it! Just...watch it!Excellent cast, gritty story, and Tank Museum loaned 'em Tiger 131 for the Tiger vs Shermans scene.
BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Isn't "Battle of the Bulge" the film where Telly Savalas survives having the turret blown off his tank without suffering so much as a scratch? :D
No plan survives first contact with the dice.
Carlson793

Post by Carlson793 »

BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:07 am Isn't "Battle of the Bulge" the film where Telly Savalas survives having the turret blown off his tank without suffering so much as a scratch? :D
That it is.