Post by Corktip100 »

A couple of thoughts for expanding WAT to the Cold War:

Thermal imaging: Additional +1 for acquisition
Stabilised Main Gun: won't lose acquisition if the firing tank moves

What else would work?
Sturmwind

Re: Cold War Tanking

Post by Sturmwind »

Funny. I tried so hard not to think about What a Cold Tanker yet.
And then, I hoped that I would be able to keep the thoughts to myself for now.
But, now that you brought it up:
  • Laser Range Finder: +1 to hit
  • Advanced Fire Control: Won't lose acquisition if the target tank moves
  • Commander Independent Sight: +1 for acquisition
Corktip100

Post by Corktip100 »

Could we include smoke dischargers? I have a feeling What a Cold Tanker (like the title, Sturmwind ) is likely to be quick and deadly. Smoke Dischargers could allow a tank to break contact (i.e. an attacker loses acquisition). Probably be best as an addition to the Tanker Deck?
Sturmwind

Post by Sturmwind »

Corktip100 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:41 pm Could we include smoke dischargers? I have a feeling What a Cold Tanker (like the title, Sturmwind ) is likely to be quick and deadly. Smoke Dischargers could allow a tank to break contact (i.e. an attacker loses acquisition). Probably be best as an addition to the Tanker Deck?
Yes, how did I forget? Smoke dischargers are a must. I was actually wondering why they didn't make the cut in the rules (see here for Tigers and here for Shermans). Probably in keeping with the KISS principle.

For WWII, I suppose they could make for a nice (late war) addition to the Tanker Deck.

For Cold War - particularly to balance the increased deadliness from acquisition and aiming advances that you point out - perhaps they should be standard? Just give each player two Smoke Chits (S-chits) at the start?
siggian

Post by siggian »

It might be better to downgrade tanks that don't have advanced features rather than upgrade the ones that do. That is, assume that advanced tanks in Cold Tanker are equivalent to Tanker tanks and and less advanced tanks have to pay higher acquisition costs and have penalties to hit. From all accounts, Tanker moves along pretty quickly and making it even easier to acquire and hit might make things a bit too quick to be satisfying. Just speculating on this, of course.
Sturmwind

Post by Sturmwind »

siggian wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:05 pm It might be better to downgrade tanks that don't have advanced features rather than upgrade the ones that do. That is, assume that advanced tanks in Cold Tanker are equivalent to Tanker tanks and and less advanced tanks have to pay higher acquisition costs and have penalties to hit. From all accounts, Tanker moves along pretty quickly and making it even easier to acquire and hit might make things a bit too quick to be satisfying. Just speculating on this, of course.
Yes, that's where my mind was headed too. Cold Tanker would have to reset/rebase things to maintain the speed, tactical challenge and fun levels of the proper rules. Sounds like solid playtesting would be needed - but something could surely be done.

With that, perhaps best to get a good number of WWII games with the rules as crafted under my belt first!
Seret

Post by Seret »

One of the main innovations would be "hunter/killer mode" tanks. In WAT at the moment we separate out the functions of commander and gunner. The TC acquires the target, but then you need separate dice for him to get the gunner laid onto the target (aim dice). IN a WW2 tank that was done verbally, hence it's a point of friction in the rules.

In an H/K tank you'd probably just skip that; if the TC acquires a target you can automatically lay the gun onto it. So no need for an aim dice, but if you want to spend them to get those +1s to hit then you're good.

I wouldn't give them a +1 for having a TI during daytime. Smoke dischargers are a good idea though.
jony663

Post by jony663 »

Funny thing about this topic, I first was asked about it at Fall In by friends that knew of my interest in 1973. I do not think it will require to many changes but for now I look to try out the original WaT
Sparker

Post by Sparker »

Really excited about Cold War Tanker! If volunteers are required for playtesting, and you need an antipodean perspective... :lol:
By the Grace of God and the kindness of Her Majesty, formerly Lieutenant Royal Navy
"I cannot comment on this officer's work, as he does not do any. He has the manners of an organ grinder and the morals of his monkey"
Cecil

Post by Cecil »

I have been thinking about Cold War tank skirmishing for quite some time. WAT seems like a good, simple set of rules to use.
I started by doing a simple re-skin using the existing stats for more modern vehicles e.g. M1 Abrams = Armour 12, Strike 9, points 21. M1A1 Abrams = Armour 12, Strike 12, Heavy Armour, points 26.
Next step is to figure out how to incorporate vehicle-mounted ATGM's without making them overpowering. They were mostly mounted on small, light-skinned vehicles but taking out a 26 point tank with a 6 point armoured car could unbalance the game.
After that is adding attack helicopters, which really makes life interesting.
I wanted to do this without adding a bunch of new abilities, in an attempt to retain the simplicity of this excellent system.