FV4101 Charioteer in (Post-WW2 games of) What A Tanker - Armour & AP scores?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Roy Williamson

FV4101 Charioteer in (Post-WW2 games of) What A Tanker - Armour & AP scores?

Post by Roy Williamson »

Is there anybody else with suggestions on how to rate the 1950s British tank FV4101 Charioteer in games of What A Tanker?

I'm looking for opposing tanks for Israeli Shermans and am considering Royal Jordanian Army Charioteers as a likely choice. This model tank also seeing use with the British TA, and the military forces of Austria and Finland and Lebanon (though actual combat-use, probably, only Lebanon?).

Here's my initial ideas:

FV4101 Charioteer
Armour Value: 5
AP Strike: 10
. Tank Destroyer
. Co-axial MG only (turret MG)
. Smoke Dischargers

* hull armour is the same as the Cromwell VII, for the sake of simplicity, but the turret has weak armour - hence the armour value reduction to 5.
Turret Front: 30mm
Turret Side-front: 26mm
Turret Side-rear: 20mm
Turret Rear: 30mm
* Ordnance QF 20-pdr gun firing Armour-Piercing Discarding Sabot (APDS) and High-Explosive (HE) projectiles. I based my score of strike 10 on the basis that it was an improvement of the Ordnance QF 17-pdr gun and that it was a 83.8-mm rifled gun.
* the British decided that the best use of the FV4101 was in the tank destroyer role.
* the hull MG was deleted and the crew space used for storage of the remaining, 3-man crew's kit.

Some consideration could be made for the poor operation efficiency of the 3-man crew, and the issue of the main gun's muzzle flash obscuring the gunner's view after each shot was fired - hence the addition of a fourth crew member, in some cases, to observe the effect of shot - but issues such as these, that other tanks suffered in WW2, are ignored in the What A Tanker rules, for sake of simplicity no doubt, so should, probably, be ignored in the Charioteer.

# Rules for HE rounds and Brassing Up (MG use) can be found in Lard Magazine 2019.
# Rules for Smoke Dischargers can be home-brewed.

[I've also posted this on the Lead Adventure Forum, should anyone spot it over there]

Roy
Kj7574

Re: FV4101 Charioteer in (Post-WW2 games of) What A Tanker - Armour & AP scores?

Post by Kj7574 »

Looks reasonable to me. And, if you're interested, I posted the stats I came up with for Arab-Israeli wars (and other post 1945 wars) on the WaT fan page on facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/9342804 ... 0227443848
Roy Williamson

Re: FV4101 Charioteer in (Post-WW2 games of) What A Tanker - Armour & AP scores?

Post by Roy Williamson »

Thanks for the reply Kj7574.

Unfortunately I'm not on Facebook, so am blocked by it from seeing the WaT posts over there. Definitely am interested in seeing what you came up with. I'll make a note of your link and check the group out should I ever get access. Cheers.
Roy Williamson

Post by Roy Williamson »

Bit of an update.
I'm currently leaning towards...

FV4101 Charioteer
Armour Value: 4
AP Strike: 10
. Tank Destroyer
. Co-axial MG only (turret MG)
. Smoke Dischargers

...And playing them as British Army 'Divisional Regiment RAC' machines, in a fictitious early 1950s setting.

Got one of my models completed - though still to be painted [model is converted from the QRF Charioteer] The "BOX, FIRST AID, SMALL, AND INFANTRY TELEPHONE" at the rear of the model, between the fish-tail exhausts, may protrude too much, so too the smoke dischargers, but I'm not bothered. The stock model's front end isn't exactly right, so I'm not allowing my OCD get in the way of enjoying myself with this little project.

Image Image
A. R. Williamson

Post by A. R. Williamson »

Same person as the original poster on this thread - created another forum account, as I'd forgotten my password - and have, also, created myself a Facebook account, so I can access wargames information not available elsewhere.

I've been trying to join the WaT Facebook group over the last few days, but am having no joy. Does anyone know if there is a problem?

If anyone can help, I'd be grateful.
Kj7574

Post by Kj7574 »

I just notified the admin you're having issues.
A. R. Williamson

Post by A. R. Williamson »

Thank you very much.

Yes, all sorted now and I've got access to the FB group.