Activation Mods for Larger Games?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Mako

Activation Mods for Larger Games?

Post by Mako »

Don't know if this will work, or perhaps if other rules sets are better for this sort of thing, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried platoon, and/or section (two vehicles) activation for larger What a Tanker games?

I'm thinking this might be useful for larger games, with more vehicles, where you want to run scenarios instead of just do a little independent tank stalking, instead.

For example, where one side is attacking, and the other defending, and the attacker needs/wants to get their attack column off the far side of the game board, and the defenders are there to prevent that. Might make sense have the entire column activate as a whole, and/or at least by platoons - probably need to let the attacker choose which platoon to activate, once his/her/their turn crops up (front one first would be the most logical), in order to avoid having the rear-most platoon in a road-based column activate first, causing issues.

Then again, perhaps that is a "feature" to add to the real frustration of the commander(s), in order to simulate "real-world" traffic congestion of road-bound units - thinking boggy ground to the sides, and/or being in a town/city, and/or a defile in a mountainous forest, etc. If the rear-most unit(s) activate first, they can just lose their turn, and/or attempt to circumvent the congestion by moving around it, and possibly bogging down. Then, try again the next turn.

If doing this, probably makes sense for the scenario to permit Initiative Bonuses for the defenders, who will probably be on over-watch, and attempting to ambush any enemy units sighted, and in range.

Thoughts?
Archdukek

Re: Activation Mods for Larger Games?

Post by Archdukek »

You might want to check out the AFV Platoon orders system in I Ain't Been Shot Mum which allows the platoon Leader to coordinate the actions of several AFVs.

John
dlatz1

Post by dlatz1 »

This may or may not be useful to you in your situation, but this is how we handle initiatives in larger games:

Assumptions are 12 players, 6 per side. To roll for initiative, I would recommend using 12-sided dice, if they’re available, for each player, but two 6-sided dice per player will also work. Because we’re, in essence, doubling the initiative roll, if anyone banks a Wild Die for the initiative roll, it will be worth +2 to that player’s roll.

Turn 1.

Side A rolls 12, 8, 8, 7, 3, 2.
Side B rolls 11, 9, 9, 7, 4, 3.

Based on those rolls, Side A would get the
initiative because their 12 was the highest die roll overall.

So, the initiative would go like this: Side A players with the rolls of 12, 8 and 8 would get the first three Tank Activations.

Side B gets the second three Tank Activations. Even though their second and third rolls were 9 and 9, their highest roll, an 11, did not beat Side A.

We do not let either side have more then three Tank Activations in a row, so Side A gets the third set of Tank Activations and Side B the fourth set.

Turn 2.

Side A rolls 8, 8, 7, 7, 4, 3.
Side B rolls 9, 8, 6, 4, 3, 3.

This turn, Side B would get the initiative because their 9 was the highest die roll overall.

So, the initiative would go like this: Side B players with the rolls of 9, 8 and 6 would get the first three Tank Activations.

Side A gets the second three Tank Activations. In this case, though, the two 7s would roll off to determine whether they will go second or fourth (high die wins and goes with the second group of three).

Again, as we do not let either side have more then three Tank Activations in a row, Side B gets the third set of Tank Activations and Side A will get the fourth set.

I could go on, but I hope you get the idea from this.

This could easily be modified for smaller or larger groups, or groups with odd numbers (odd player goes last or with the last grouping depending on which side had the first initiative), or even groups with uneven sides (say 5 vs. 7). The Wild die for initiative may take some rethinking in these cases, maybe even dropping it from the game.

If you have any questions, maybe you can message me with your questions.
sespe

Post by sespe »

I just use a card-draw system. Each tank has a card, deck is shuffled after each turn. If you bank sixes to help your activation next turn your card gets shuffled into the top 1/3 of the deck.
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

I do the same with a bag of counters