Cold War Tanker

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Joe Legan

Cold War Tanker

Post by Joe Legan » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:44 am

A number of you have asked about my Cold War Tanker rules I submitted last year to the Lardies. After getting another request last week I have decided to publish them on Wargames Vault. I e-mailed Rich over the weekend to get his okay. They are 8 pages and have stats for all the major vehicles as well as rules for ATGMS, wheeled vehicles, infantry, LAWS and platoon movement for the Warsaw Pact. I am thinking about $2-$2.50 a copy and half the proceeds, as always, will go to the local food bank here in town. I will try to post them at the end of the week.
Thanks

Joe Legan

Kj7574

Re: Cold War Tanker

Post by Kj7574 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:55 pm

How did you calculate the armor and strike values? Where did you get your data?

Joe Legan

Post by Joe Legan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:24 am

Great question. I used Jim Day's MBT and Osprey's supplement Cold War Gone Hot as my primary sources but also checked Wikipedia and Quora. I used no classified sources. It is not continuous with the original WaT as then the Abrams would have required over 20 dice.
Cold War Tanker is now posted here:
https://www.wargamevault.com/product/29 ... war+tanker
To bring it in line with Crueler Seas I am charging $1.00 and all of the proceeds go to the food bank. ( We are shooting for 100 turkeys to give out for US thanksgiving this year.)
Questions, comments reply here, The Miniatures Page or my blog- Platoon Forward. Once flu season hits I will get very busy but should be able to answer all questions within 3 days.

Enjoy

Joe

Kj7574

Post by Kj7574 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:38 pm

Since penetration of the round varies with range, what range did you use to figure out STRIKE? And how many mm of RHS armor equates to one ARMOR point?

Joe Legan

Post by Joe Legan » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:10 pm

Happy Thanksgiving!
Not sure I understand where you are going with your questions. I will take it that you are inquiring about design/development philosophy. The short answer to your question is " I have no idea." I developed this supplement "for effect". I did not go back to primary sources if I could avoid them. I used the 2 sources above and calculated the percentages of time there would be kills or damages at close range. I then worked with strike and armor factors to get the same percentages. I would occasionally modify if the results looked wrong or to differentiate between different tanks or models of tanks. Finally, I scaled back the newest NATO tanks as these would be almost impossible to destroy if you believe much of what is out there. This was done to "make a game of it". Not much fun if 1 Abrams can take out a whole board of russian tanks without fear. ERA was ignored to simplify the game though there is a optional rule which takes a stab at it.
I think it accomplishes what I set out to do. Allows you to get some modern tanks on the board using the core rules and have it "feel" different than a WW II battle.

I hope I answered your question.

Joe

Kj7574

Post by Kj7574 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:32 pm

yup, that’s what I wanted to know. It’s not how I was trying to do it, but it makes sense.