Aiming a StuG III question

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

grimegt

Aiming a StuG III question

Post by grimegt » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:07 pm

I'll start by saying if this is covered in the rules I must have missed it so my apologies if I am asking something that I should've seen. The question could apply to any turret less TD but if a target is within the front 60degree arc but not directly in front of an unbuttoned StugIII does the tank need to expand a movement dice to pivot or does the act of aiming permit the tank to pivot towards the target? What if the tank is in a position in which it can not pivot?

Archdukek

Re: Aiming a StuG III question

Post by Archdukek » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:43 pm

I may not be fully understanding the question, but a turret less TD like a Stug can shoot at anything within its 60' front arc. The target does not have to be directly in front of it, nor do you have to pivot it to line directly up with the target though some players like to just as they like to make slight adjustments to a tanks turrets to line it up on target.

John

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:01 am

Unfortunately unlike CoC WaT does not restrict a fixed gun platform to shooting straight ahead.

In reality the Stug had a traverse of 10-12 deg to either side.

So you may rationalise the 30 deg traverse by pivoting the tank slightly as Archduke said but its does not need to RAW

grimegt

Post by grimegt » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:07 pm

Okay, thanks for the replies. The rules do not require pivot or the lining up of a turret. While I understand why the rules would be drafted as such, I'm not sure I like it. (only my opinion)

In my test game last evening, a panther came up through a stand of trees onto the side of a Churchill. It didn't go through the trees put could stick its barrel through the trees. However, the trees only permitted the turret to turn about 15 degrees in either direction, thereby preventing the turret from lining up on any part of the target. Under the rules as written, the panther still could have fired but it wouldn't have felt 'accurate' so a spur of the moment house rule was put in place. I used the logic as the basis for my house rule, if a tank can not turn its turret or a fixed gun vehicle can not pivot due to an obstruction then it can't properly aim at the target. As a person who likes the visual of the games, I will include pivoting as part of the aiming process as a 'house rule' going forward.

I understand others may not agree but it's still a free country supposedly. ;)

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:57 pm

Actually there is a rule in WAT already which could be applied in that situation, namely on page 28 under Manoeuvring in Built Up Areas. That recognises that walls or buildings can block a tank pivoting its gun to line up on a target thus narrowing its arc of fire. It disapplies that rule for woods I suspect because few of us define the position of actual trees in our games but move them as necessary.

However, I have had occasion to rule that a substantial tree in a hedgerow is actually there and blocked a tank pivoting its gun accordingly. It all comes down to how you and your opponent want to define your terrain at the start of the game.

John

grimegt

Post by grimegt » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:51 pm

Excellent point John, I forgot about that rule which covers my house rule perfectly. In playing WaT and CoC, I play everything on a one to one basis, including trees since I have some very nice looking trees from Last Valley (or is it Lost Valley) that I was given years ago.

Herkybird

Post by Herkybird » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:03 pm

I use lots of those lovely trees, Its 'The Last Valley' run by a very nice chap called Andy.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/pages/catego ... 031109215/

Some of his terrain:

magicfan

Post by magicfan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:21 pm

As part of the aim action I like to pivot the turret/vehicle slightly so that the gun barrel points at its target. It is not in the rules as such but I think it looks a whole lot better in the game to do so.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:23 pm

I agree and it may possibly restrict your arc of fire next turn on a different target.... mind you the same principle applies to turreted weapons too.

Herkybird

Post by Herkybird » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:38 pm

I tend to turn the turret a bit in games to point at the target, and it doesn't seem to affect play at all, as the big thing in playing is acquiring a target, so you wont usually be shooting at a different target anytime soon!