Skirmish query

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

bellebsc

Skirmish query

Post by bellebsc »

My Portuguese Brg has one inf btn and one cacadores btn both graded as recruit and standard size btns.

I can take my infantry btn and throw them into skirmish screen given me 4 bases but then lose 2 as recruit and non light infantry. Now it seems silly sacrificing a btn to have 2 skirmish bases and that's fine.

Then I come to the cacadores and under the rules they can not go into skirmish order period.

So the question is ....Why can't they? 😀

Second query

Skirmish priority targets.
It says any enemy inf or arty in arc of fire. So am I correct if I have an enemy line and arty battery and I soley want to silence his guns then this is permitted?

Thanks
RB

bellebsc

Re: Skirmish query

Post by bellebsc »

It's okay I just read that even though light inf graded as recruits can not go into skirmish order they can however reinforce the brigade skirmish line.

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

;)

You may target the guns as the sole target.

DB

Sgt Steiner

Post by Sgt Steiner »

Hi DB etc

Must confess totally confused by Skirmish Priority section.
As I read it it means Skirmshers shoot at any (ie all?) targets in arc and them split casualties as appropriate.

However the rule at top of pg 70 clearly states that Skirmishers MAY fire at multiple targets as player wishes. That seems to make any Priority targeting moot ?

I can sort of see it both ways but often seems odd that a skirmish unit maybe 6+ inches wide can concentrate fire on one of several targets (possibly with 4 dice) whilst ignoring other units in its arc. Seems ‘better’ to shoot at any/all in arc and split hits.

Cheers

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

SS,

Yes - it was designed to be quick and easy - it also meant players didn't have to concern themselves with what modifiers to apply if firing across multiple yet different targets, e.g. an enemy square and a skirmish screen.

The average skirmish screen will probably inflict just one casualty for the majority of times so it seemed best that the player might as well be able to direct his fire.

However there's nothing stop you splitting fire if say your screen is stretched across two very obvious targets directly to your skirmishers front, if you prefer.

DB