Basing Artillery

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

Steve Nagy

Basing Artillery

Post by Steve Nagy »

Hello. I am new to this game, and am curious about how to base my artillery. If I recall correctly, the rules say the artillery frontage should be proportioal to the Infantry frontage, but I don't recall seeing a ratio. Should an arty btty cover 50% of an Inf bttn in line? 75%?, 100%? 125%? Can someone pls give me some guidance on what the norm is? Thanks in advance.

Steve N.

Archdukek

Re: Basing Artillery

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Steve,
I’m not sure that there is a norm, it will depend on how players have based their armies. However, I’d suggest looking for the battery frontage to be around 75%-100% of an infantry battalion’s frontage would be reasonable. Depending on the circumstances artillery batteries were usually deployed with some 20 yards between guns which would give a 6 gun battery a frontage of around 130 yards while an 8 gun one would cover about 180 yards. This could be compressed to around half that if necessary.

My own 28mm standard infantry battalions have a frontage in line of 200mm. My gun models are based on 60mm square bases and I use 2 to represent a battery normally, inserting an empty 60mm base between them to give me a frontage of 180mm for the battery. That can be omitted if space is tight.

Hope that helps,

John

Steve Nagy

Post by Steve Nagy »

That's great. Thanks for the info, John!

nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 »

Morning Steve. We play in 15mm and base our artillery on 30-40mm frontage per Gun with Batteries between 3&4 guns. This gives a frontage of around 120mm -160mm per battery, and a little more for those big Russian batteries. Our Infantry are 30/40mm frontage per base/company dependant on nation. So a French Battalion in line is 120mm -180mm a Russian one 120mm to 160mm.

This seems to work for us. The wider basing on the artillery does make you think about artillery placement and prevents the creation of grand batteries without a lot of thought and planning.

Steve Nagy

Post by Steve Nagy »

N66,

Thanks for that. Comments so far indicate that the arty btty should be about the frontage of an inf bttn. I like your point about having to think about arty placement if you use larger bttys. I think I wil go that route. Thanks for the reply!

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

Yes, interesting.

I've being trying, (and failing) to interpret and include the adage "Artillery grows roots" into actual rules.

Maybe having artillery on big bases might be a move towards creating this?

DB

nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 »

Well I’ve been a little bit inspired by your basing for artillery Dave. I like my guns 12-16cm wide and deeper bases with limbers. You really see a ‘foot print’ for batteries which reflects that seen in battlefield maps from the period.