Movement within 3" of enemy units

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

javimon

Movement within 3" of enemy units

Post by javimon »

Good afternoon,

Page 55 states that "Units may not voluntarily advance closer than 5cm [3"] to enemy Close Order units". It is clear to us that a unit can´t finish its movement within 3" of close order enemies, but can a unit move within 3" of such an enemy if its movement finishes outside those 3"?

Thank you and regards,

Javier

Archdukek

Re: Movement within 3" of enemy units

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Javier,
No, you cannot move closer than 3” to an enemy Close Order unit during the Movement phase. You can only do so in the Charge or Melee phases having followed the relevant steps required in those phases.

John

javimon

Post by javimon »

Thank you very much John.

Regards,

Javier.

javimon

Post by javimon »

Good evening,

We have found that the 3" no move area for enemies rule could allow for three infantry squares placed side by side to create a 39"/96 cms impassable line for enemies, if separated one from each other by 12" (well, 11,9). Cavalry units (ours are 6" wide) couldn´t get through the 11,9" between squares as they would pass within 3" of a square, and then there are 3" on each side of the outer squares. Something like this:

3" + square (3") + 12" + square (3") + 12" + square (3") + 3"

Yes, the squares could be fired at or charged by infantry, or even by the cavalry itself (risky, but...), this is an ideal situation, but is this right or are we missing something?

Regards,

Javier.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Javier,
In my view if it is not the cavalry unit’s intention to close with any enemy square then they could move through that size of gap between the squares. The rule isn’t there to block movement as such, but rather to make it clear that you can’t simply move up into contact with an enemy unit without declaring a Charge and completing the Charge Procedure.

The key phrase in bullet point 6 on page 55 is that “Units may not voluntarily advance closer than 5cm [3”] to enemy Close Order units.”

In your example the cavalry is not advancing on any square but moving between them.

John

javimon

Post by javimon »

Thank you John,

So does the rule allows to move within 3" of enemy units as long as you are not moving towards them or have them as your target? For example, I want my mounted unit to reach the top of a hill but there is an enemy unit between them, and my unit would have to pass within 3" of the enemy during its movement (let´s say that at its closest point my unit would pass at 1" of the enemy´s left flank) before leaving it behind and continue moving until it reaches the hill. Would that be allowed, or no part of the movement can enter the 3"?

I understand that you can fall back or move away from enemies, the thing is when you start moving outside 3" and part of the movement enters that limit, so you have in fact advanced (got closer) to the enemy even if it is not your target and leave it behind in that same movement.

Regards,

Javier.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Javier,
I think you need to apply a bit of common sense in these situations. Too rigid an interpretation can lead to problems such as you described with the squares example.

In the latest circumstances you describe I would expect the player to declare his intentions at the start and I would probably allow the cavalry to make the move if coming within 3” is incidental to the main manoeuvre which can be completed and not leave the cavalry within 3” of the enemy, but I’d probably say no if the cavalry was trying to wriggle through a narrow gap between units.

One way to curb such close encounters would be to allow the infantry to use traversing fire (p98) on the cavalry even if the cavalry isn’t charging anyone.

John

javimon

Post by javimon »

Thank you John.

Just as I realized the extreme situation and abuse of the rules that the 3" rule could lead to, as it definitely goes against common sense that a 6" wide unit can´t move through a 11,9" gap, it equally goes against that same common sense to allow it to do the same with a 6" gap. That´s why I am asking the right interpretation and application of the rule. We don´t play competitively at all and it his will rarely be an issue, but sometimes a situation open to interpretation could arise, as it happened to us a few weeks ago.

Allowing traversing fire could be an option, but that would be a home rule.

Thanks and regards,

Javier.