Skirmish Fire

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

Slynx

Skirmish Fire

Post by Slynx »

Hi All

Looking through the forums to see what I could find on Skirmish fire has lead me to being more confused then when I started.

Using this forum discussion as a reference bought up a few points to me
https://toofatlardies.co.uk/forum/viewt ... nce#p51157

How do you fire skirmishers...... the reply to the above message seems to indicate that you fire skirmishers using the same arc of fire as a formed unit, but that each base is measured individually rather then from the centre of the skirmish line (which all seems inconsistent).

If you total up the number of bases that are in range on a base by base basis, then the further along the line you get then they might be out of the arc of fire (if each base is using its own 45 degree arc). Also if you were checking the range on a base-by-base basis, would attached rifle companies use their higher range?

If you split fire based on the number of bases in range, you could have a situation where a large skirmish screen of 6 bases could have 3 bases firing at one target and 3 bases firing at a different target. How would you allocate the CD as each group shouldn't get 3CD each as it would double the number of the CD the screen gets as a whole.

If you wanted to split fire across two targets and 3 of the 4 skirmishers were in range of one target and the 4th was in range of a different target, Could you fire the last skirmisher? The rules state that you would split the fire/Casualty dice evenly across the targets. It would just seem odd that the CD were distributed 2 on each unit when the ratio should be more like 3/1

I can come up with some house rules on how we handle this, but wondered how it was envisioned to work.

Thanks in advance for any clarifications

nikjen66

Re: Skirmish Fire

Post by nikjen66 »

Hi S,

I’m sure Mr B will clarify this correctly but this is how we play it. Firstly the rules with skirmish fire allow for some interpretation dependant on the circumstances each time they fire. We tend to play largish games so we don’t want to get too bogged in the some of the detail.
So, first things first work our how many CDs your skirmish unit gets. Then check out what’s in LoS, range and a priority and split the fire CDs up based on the application of common sense. We allow the skirmishers to fire at anything to their front, not just in arc, and then allocate the CDs to the closest or most obvious targets. If for some reason only part of the skirmish unit is in range and the other part doesn’t have an alternative target we divvy up the CDs based on the number of bases actually in range.we measure the ranges from each base, not the centre, as we feel this disadvantages larger screens.
Sometimes you win, sometime you lose.
Not sure we’re doing it right, but it works and keeps the game flowing.
No doubt some else will tell me I’m wrong, hey ho!!

These are fabulous rules. Stick with em.

Maturin

Post by Maturin »

Hi S
Nikjen has it right, make it simple. Check if small, standard or large CD totals, +/- CD bonuses, throw and count casualties, reduce casualties by half and round up if only half (or less) are in range and arc (only 1 dice if only one base). Deal out casualties with a majority on priority targets throwing y/n for those who receive if there is not enough to go around.
Cheers
M

bellebsc

Post by bellebsc »

I asked the same questions awhile back. It was then I realised I was using my skirmishers incorrectly

Skirmish units fire from the centre of their screen and can target anyone ( apart from cav in the open) within their arc.

I've seen a few games where skirmish bases are spread out even though the figures are based correctly in size it's seems many still have a unit in some sort of open order, which is fine if the skirmish bases are smaller than the frontage of two infantry company's but if using the correct skirmish screen widths then the bases should be side by side ( no gaps ). Then the rule of visibility, line of sight comes into play.

Slynx

Post by Slynx »

Thanks for the reply's everyone.

It looks like everyone has their own interpretation on how to apply the skirmish fire (distance, arc and CD), so I guess we'll come up with our own house rules for it.

bellebsc

Post by bellebsc »

Perhaps Mr Brown can help you in which he will gladly do.

Ricky