Question on Cavalry Charges

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

Slynx

Question on Cavalry Charges

Post by Slynx »

Hi All

Fairly new to General d'Armee but so far we're really enjoying it. They seem a great set of rules and one thats likely to be adopted by our club for this period (thankfully a set of rules that we like after many years)

Most things look and feel right and straight forward, but the Charge bit was always going to be the most complicated and draw the questions. Our questions on it are:

We had a British cavalry unit that charged a skirmish line. The skirmish line evaded successfully. At this point the cavalry can continue on or elect to take the ground
If the unit evades succesfully does the charge just end here at this point
or is this the point where you roll 4d6 for distance and charge on to the next enemy unit?
Are the cavalry considered unformed at this point?
Does British cavalry HAVE to Charge on Unformed (this is a national trait) because the skirmishers evaded.

We played it that the cavalry were considered unformed after the skirmishers evaded and the cavalry charged on unformed. Their 4d6 meant they contacted a French infantry column. As the distance from where the skirmishers evaded was less then 15cm we concluded that the column couldnt form square.

Is it right that the column fought the square (I thought we would need a discipline test at least, but couldnt find one)
The column seemed to actually be as good or better then being in square. Is that right? was square primarily for lines to contract to a formation that better protected them? and columns due to their density were fine? or did we miss a modifier that the column should have got that a square wouldnt have.

DCRBrown

Re: Question on Cavalry Charges

Post by DCRBrown »

S,

We had a British cavalry unit that charged a skirmish line. The skirmish line evaded successfully. At this point the cavalry can continue on or elect to take the ground.

Correct.

If the unit evades successfully does the charge just end here at this point or is this the point where you roll 4d6 for distance and charge on to the next enemy unit?

See Evading Procedure, p50. If a unit has evaded there is no charge procedure as such, you simply halt or carry on using your remaining charge move, declaring the same or a new target, if within reach. (This is different to obtaining a Victory result and the bonus 4D6 charge move via the Charge Tables.)

Are the cavalry considered unformed at this point?

No.

Does British cavalry HAVE to Charge on Unformed (this is a national trait) because the skirmishers evaded.

No - the British national trait only applies to a Victory in the Charge Procedure, i.e. win by 6+. It does not apply to the Evade Procedure.

If you cavalry had enough normal charge movement left after the screen evaded they could go onto charge the column.

Yes. You then apply the Charge rules for a Cavalry vs. the Infantry Column combat.
Infantry in Colum do not need to take a Discipline Tests to stand vs. cavalry. See The Discipline Test, p81.

The column seemed to actually be as good as or better than being in square. Is that right?

No. If you look at the Charge results table p48, the last row is Cavalry vs. Square, which is much harder for cavalry to win. A column can be ridden down or unformed and melee'd by the cavalry. There is no melee result vs. a square.

You'll be pleased to know I'm working to streamline the charge rules, but keep the nuances and detail as much as possible. Though this is not easy! ;)

DB

Slynx

Post by Slynx »

Hi Dave

Thank you for breaking down my questions and answering them fully. We got some of it right and some of it wrong.

Just for clarification on skirmishers, as skirmishers automatically try to evade, is the proper way to announce a charge on the skirmishers, to then effectively charge through to the formed infantry behind (potentially inflicting a D3 casualties on the skirmishers if they fail there DT) and then continue to the target you wanted to get at?

The only thing I can think of is if you needed to wheel to hit a close order unit where upon you wouldn't be trying to hit the center of the skirmisher formation.

We really enjoy these rules and this is the first set that I have played that's enticing me back to this period. Fantastic work.

bellebsc

Post by bellebsc »

DB and John have helped out with similar questions on a few posts.

Skirmishers do not unform their own troops with evading through them.

Skirmishers if charged will always take a DT if being charged.

Against infantry they fire first then take the DT and lose d3 casualties if they fail the DT

Against cavalry they is no firing just a DT and again if fail then d3 casualties.

On both occasions the skirmishers evade fully back of their OWN brigade.

A successful DT they can evade behind the nearest brigade .

As for cavalry ( also infantry) charging on the rest of their movement if a unit evades then keep in mind that there is no wheeling as you are charging perpendicular to your front as this is a continuation of the original charge.

Slynx

Post by Slynx »

So just for my clarity .....

If the cavalry declare a charge at a unit behind the skirmishers, do the skirmishers have to take a DT and evade. Or as there not the actual target that they get to evade successfully with out a test (and get to fire at the infantry charging).

I understand about the follow on being a straight ahead only, hence the question, as you may want to target the close order unit to hope to follow through, whilst if you targeted the skirmishers, you may end up at a different angle so the follow on would make you miss the close order unit behind

siggian

Post by siggian »

I don't have the rules, but my feeling is that the skirmishers should take the DT and evade. They wouldn't know that they aren't the objective of the charge. All they know is there are a bunch of dudes on horses heading in their direction and it's time to shoot and scoot.

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

Yes, the skirimshers still have to go through the Evade process.

DB

Slynx

Post by Slynx »

Thanks all, I'm clear on the process now