Light infantry, attached brigadiers and shooting through gaps

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

javimon

Light infantry, attached brigadiers and shooting through gaps

Post by javimon »

Hi everybody,

We played another game this weekend and have some questions that I ask here, we greatly appreciate your help.

- Do Light Infantry in open order act just like skirmishers? Movement distance, firing range, impact on 5+, etc... or is there any difference?
- I have seen in some videos that brigadiers can be attached to battalions at any time, for example just before charging, without having to rely on a special order. Is that right or am I missing something?
- On the "Restricted Fire and Line of Sight" section it says that depending on the strenght that can fire, the unit fires at full effect, half or can´t fire. Does half effect mean half casualties? Is the "strength able to fire" the number of bases with line of sight with the target?
- If a unit fires at an enemy through a gap between two friendly units (or terrain features that block vision), does that gap need to have a minimum width, or just the above rule apply? Is there a "safety distance" or "bubble" around friendly units that prevents friendly shooting to get through it in order to target an enemy unit? I haven´t found anything like that but I could be wrong.

Thank you and regards,

Javier.

nikjen66

Re: Light infantry, attached brigadiers and shooting through gaps

Post by nikjen66 »

Hi Javier,

From my experience and knowledge please see below.
1. A light infantry battalion acts in exactly the same way as the skirmish screen as far as movement/shooting is concerned, you need to remember that You get one shot for each base and that unlike the brigade screen the light battalion will accumulates hits like any other formed unit- deduct one combat dice for every four hits. And the light infantry can reform but only if it falls back/ moves behind formed friends to do so.
2. Brigadiers can join a unit as it charges (we only normally allow this if in command range) or is charged. But, only certain nationalities can attached the Brigadier in this way without a brigade attachment. Check the brigade attachment ADC rules.
3. I believe this means that you half casualties as you would for units in column or firing at a built up area.
4. For firing through gaps you need to have a gap at least equal to the firing unit. We also play a rule that you can’t fire through a brigade footprint. As the area a formation occupies would we full of ‘stuff’ going on (dead and wounded, ammo carriages, reforming small group of men, officers, messengers, ambulances) and smile and confusion we don’t allow artillery to fire unless it has a clear unobstructed view between brigades or is at the front of the brigades foot print. Or of course is firing overhead.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

On 2, see page 26 for the rule on attaching Brigadiers to units and the subdivision of the Charge phase. This doesn’t require any special order but must be done before any charges are declared.

On 3 then yes the individual bases firing must have line of sight to the target unit. If half to three quarters of the firing unit can see the target then you volley as normal, but half the resulting casualties.

On 4 you don’t need a unit wide gap to fire through, just count the number of bases who can see the enemy within the normal 45’ arc and use the Restricted Fire rule to decide if a volley is possible.

John

javimon

Post by javimon »

Thank you very much for all your answers!

Regards,

Javier.

nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 »

Hi John & Javier,

Page 97 (optional rules) - Austrian/Russian/Other nationalities must have an Brigadier Attachment in place to allow a Brigadier to join a unit, there is no restriction to French, Brits, Prussians.
Although this is an optional rule it requires an order for a Brigadier to join a unit, even a charging unit.

Cheers
Nick

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Nick,

Fair comment. Can’t recall ever using that optional rule myself though I can understand the rationale.
In my experience it’s most likely to be relevant to a defender than an attacker since whenever possible I’d use a Brigade Attachment ADC anyway to ensure that there was a reroll available to stop the chargers failing their Command Roll.

John