Charge/Melee Questions

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

weharding

Charge/Melee Questions

Post by weharding »

Couple questions from our latest game.

If a deployed artillery battery that has infantry supports in rear suffers a disperse result from a charge what is the effect to the supporting Infantry unit?

How do you run a charge combat when 1 attacker is charging 2 defenders? Rules talk of multiple attackers vs 1 defender but not the other way around?

bellebsc

Re: Charge/Melee Questions

Post by bellebsc »

Hi
Any supporting unit will retire and lose one casualty and become unformed. This equates for all supporting units who's friendly unit was charged and requires, retreats, routs and also dispersed.

As for an attacker charging two units then each unit being charged role separate dice and the higher role is used, the lower role is ignored.

Ricky.

weharding

Post by weharding »

Ricky,

Thanks for the answers, appreciate it!

Follow up: If a heavy cav unit is charging two enemy cav units made up of one heavy cav and one campaign cav. Does the attacker get a +1 bonus vs Campaign? Or do they get nothing due to being same level as the Heavy cav?

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

I think Ricky’s answer for one attacker charging 2 defenders is a neat one, however I don’t think it is correct. My reading of the rules is that an attacker can only declare a charge on a single enemy unit which then becomes the Lead Defender unit for the purpose of the Charge Procedure. See sentence at the foot of page 45.

In your example the charging heavy cavalry unit would probably target the enemy campaign cavalry unit to gain the advantage in the Charge Procedure with the enemy heavy cavalry automatically becoming a supporting unit. If the attackers close to melee and contact the enemy heavy cavalry then it too would fight.

In practice, however, the enemy would probably be better to interrupt the charge by declaring an Opportunity Charge with its own heavy cavalry to make sure that both heavy units become the lead units for the Charge Procedure with the campaign cavalry as support. That will require it to pass a Discipline Test. See the FAQ for a worked example of this.

So the situation in your follow up question will never arise.

Hope that helps.

John

nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 »

Hi John, you are quite correct about charging only against one enemy. But, if you had a unit deployed in line faced by two or more enemy units in column/square all at a similar distance away and all in charge reach surely you should be able to charge all of them? The circumstances that Ricky alludes to would then be relevant? Just a thought.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Nick,
I think the way to do that is to declare a charge on one column, any others within supporting distance will automatically count as defensive supports allowing a reroll. Once the Charge Procedure is completed if the attackers move into contact with the lead unit then it will also contact the supporting unit which will be drawn into the melee. If the lead defenders are forced to retire or retreat in the Charge procedure their supports will also retire. Either way the outcome you want is achieved. I just don’t think Ricky’s neat solution is needed.

John

nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 »

Hi John,

Yeah that makes more sense. 😀😀

Cheers

Nick

dakkadakka

Post by dakkadakka »

Guys - could the heavies do an opportunity charge to intercept the attackers before they reached their target?

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi dakka,
Yes the Heavies could attempt an Opportunity Charge. See my answer on Tuesday above when I suggested that would be a likely response in this situation.

John

bellebsc

Post by bellebsc »

Ah..tis remind me of school when you give an answer and it's not correct the teacher doth softens the blow with ...its good but not quite right 😂😂

I did actually assume the charger was a line and charged against two battalions as no example was given at the beginning of what units were doing the charging.

May I add john that a line lets say a large battalion going for broke seems a bit dubious just all heading to one battalion to their front, however if that's the mechanics I will follow them as I have been playing the way I described.

Thanks John