Charge

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

dolpin_tamroth

Charge

Post by dolpin_tamroth »

Hi, I'm playing a solo game and I've doubt with a charge.

The French cavalry unit on the right charge British Line Infantry unit, the distance between the cavalry and the infanrty is 15", so the british can try to form a square doing a Discipline Test. The result of the test is 3, so the British unit doesn't form square and must retire and suffer 1D3 casualties.

The British infantry unit passes throw the Highlanders and both units are now unformed. The cavalry unit can now charge again because it has enough movement to try to contact the Highlanders. The distance in this case is lower than 9", so they can't form a square, but the Highlanders must do a Discipline Test to fire the French Cavalry. The result of the Discipline Test is 4, so the result is the same the Highlanders retire and suffer 1D3 casualties. The brigade has two retiring units, so it's a faltering brigade.

With this retire movement the unit in front of the cavalry is the British Line Infantry unit again, but the distance is higher to the total charge movement so this unit can't be reached by the cavalry.

Is this right?

Thanks in advance.

Dolpin.

Archdukek

Re: Charge

Post by Archdukek »

Hi BR,
That isn’t correct. The Line unit which attempts to form square and achieves a final result of ‘3’ on the Discipline Test does not Retire instead it Retreats and loses 1 D3 casualties. That is a more serious outcome since it will burst through the Highlanders unforming them and become a column of mob marked with a retreat marker to the Highlanders rear. It would no longer be a Close Order unit which the Highlanders could retire behind.

The Highlanders do not have time to react since the cavalry are within 9” (see paragraph 5.b. iv on page 45) so do not take a Discipline Test. Instead they will have to conduct the Charge Procedure as an Unformed infantry unit in line facing a charge by cavalry which is unlikely to go well since they will be on a -4 modifier.

By the way if a line infantry unit has a final result of ‘4’ on a Discipline Test that constitutes a Pass although the unit would be Unformed. It is only Skirmishers or an Evading unit who would have to Retreat and take 1D3 casualties. I’m a little unclear whether the dice are showing the dice roll or the final result of the second discipline test.

Hope that helps.

John

dolpin_tamroth

Post by dolpin_tamroth »

Thanks Archdukek for your answer!!!

Understood the error in the retire of the Line unit. In the case of the highlanders, could they fire to the cavalry as a response to the charge? Do they need a discipline test to fire?

The dice (4) was the result of the second discipline test.

Thanks

Dolpin

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Dolpin,
I have always taken the view that the second unit of defenders cannot fire in the circumstances you describe. As it says in the rule I mentioned on page 45 “If the chargers start from within 15cm [9”] there is insufficient time for the defenders to react...”. Also in reality the Highlanders would have to wait until the Line unit had cleared their front during which time the cavalry will have closed on them. I think their only realistic response would be to prepare to meet the charge.

John

nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 »

Hi John, I thought Infantry in line always had to take a discipline test regardless of what their response may be?
Nick

bellebsc

Post by bellebsc »

nikjen66 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:45 pm
Hi John, I thought Infantry in line always had to take a discipline test regardless of what their response may be?
Nick
hi there.
Not if the chargers are within 15" as there is no time to react to the chargers pelting in at close quarter. So no discipline test is carried out.

Ricky

bellebsc

Post by bellebsc »

Hi John.

I too have played that a unit who was unformed in the charge phase due to being interpentrated by freindly units can not fire on the charging unit due to the distance but the rules say

If the chargers start from within 15cm [9"], there is insufficient
time for the defenders to react and no defensive manoeuvre
is permitted, unless evading (tIf the chargers start from within 15cm [9"], there is insufficient
time for the defenders to react and no defensive manoeuvre
is permitted, unless evading ●●●(though they may still fire if
within arc)●●●

So it may still fire an inferior volley as an unformed unit. I'm sure Mr Brown addressed this but I can't find it. However I will stick to the house rule of what we both do.😊

Ricky

nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 »

Page 3 of the official FAQ. Section 8 Infantry facing cavalry charges.
A) Infantry who wish to remain in line when charged by cavalry must take a DT at the 5cm point, before firing.
B) if charged by cavalry who started from under 15cm, Infantry in line, must take and pass a DT at the 5cms point and no reaction move or formation change is permitted, except defensive fire.
C) if charged by cavalry who started from at least 15cm away, Infantry must take and pass a DT at the 5cm point in order to successfully form square.

Hope that helps to clarify. 🙂

Nick

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Thanks Nick, that helps clarify the need to take a Discipline Test point.

However, I think that B) is dealing with an infantry unit giving defensive fire against chargers starting at under 15cm within their firing arc who have a clear line of sight to the chargers. I have no problem with that.
In the example given above I would still argue that the Highlanders firing arc is blocked by the retreating line infantry and so no defensive fire can be given. The only outcome of any DT of note is that the Highlanders could be forced to retreat if the result was a 3 or less. Otherwise they will have to stand in line and take their chances.

John

nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 »

Hi John,

Yeah agree with you in this case but I was responding to the rule definition posed by Ricky about chargers from within 15cms not requiring a DT on Infantry in line. 😉

Nick