Re-Fight of the Battle of Bailen

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

ShadowDragon

Re-Fight of the Battle of Bailen

Post by ShadowDragon »

It took a long time to get the required troops painted up - Garde de Paris and loads of Spanish, but I finally got to re-fight the Battle of Bailen.

The re-fight assumes that Dupont concentrated his army before attacking the Spanish left and centre instead of the historical piecemeal attacks as each brigade arrived. The game was limited to 12 turns after which if the French did not win it was assumed that the Spanish right wing would intervene or that Castanos would arrive in rear of the French army. The inactivity of the right wing was 'justified' by the large numbers of French cavalry present and by the fact that a couple of French divisions were soon to arrive from the rear of the Spanish troops.

Photos of the initial deployment are in a Flickr album:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmNJsgpt

The game was played twice.

1st Game - a French victory. Privé's large chasseur brigade initiated the action by attacking the Spanish extreme left. With some spectacular dice rolling, the chasseurs rode down the Spanish infantry and over threw the Spanish cavalry which was caught off-balanced by the 'charging on' chasseurs. The chasseurs with the supported of Chabert's infantry brigade rolled up the Spanish line.

2nd Game - a Spanish victory. This time the Spanish infantry and cavalry threw back several charges by the chasseurs and Charbert's infantry. The shame of a large chasseur regiment being dispersed by a small Spanish regiment of volunteer lancers. The centre saw some bloody action with Swiss versus Swiss. The French would push the Spanish brigades back only to see these brigade rally back (good rolling on the Falter chart). At the end the Spanish easily held the town and had enough troops on the ridge to rate it 'contested'.

Orders of Battle used - about 2350 points for the French versus 1850 for the Spanish

FRENCH

General Dupont – 5 ADC (Campaigner)

Brigade – Pannetier
2/1st Garde de Paris, 1 X Small, Line
2/2nd Garde de Paris, 1 X Small, Line
3rd Légion de Réserve, 2 X Large, Reservist
Brigade Skirmishers – 3 bases

Brigade – Chabert
4th Légion de Réserve, 3 X Large, Reservist
2/4e Swiss Regiment, 1 X Standard, Veteran
Brigade Skirmishers – 4 bases

Brigade – Rouyer
Sailors of the Guard, 1 X Small, Elite
2nd ‘Reding’ Swiss* Regiment, 1 X Large, Recruit
6th ‘Preux’ Swiss* Regiment, 1 X Standard, Recruit
*Ex-Spanish employment

Artillery – 6lb Foot Battery, 1 X Standard, Veteran

Brigade - Privé
2nd Provisional Cuirassiers, 1 X Small, Line Heavy Cavalry
1st Provisional Dragoons, 1 X Standard, Reservist Battle Cavalry
2nd Provisional Dragoons, 1 X Large, Reservist Battle Cavalry

Brigade - Dupré
1st Provisional Chasseurs, 1 X Large, Reservist Campaign Cavalry
2nd Provisional Chasseurs, 1 X Large, Reservist Campaign Cavalry

SPANISH

General Reding – 4 ADC (Campaigner)

1st Brigade
Ceuta Infantry Regiment, 2 X Standard, Line
2nd Volunteers of Grenada, 1 X Small, Recruit
Farnesio Regiment, 1 X Small, Reservist Campaign Cavalry

2nd Brigade
Walloon Guards, 1 X Standard, Veteran
Jaen Infantry Regiment, 1 X Large, Line
Provincial Militia of Cuenca, 1 X Standard, Reservist
Provincial Militia of Truxillo, 1 X Small, Reservist
Provincial Militia of Bujalance, 1 X Small, Reservist
Brigade Skirmishers – 3 bases

3rd Brigade
3rd Swiss Regiment, 2 X Standard, Line
3/Ordenes Militares Infantry Regiment, 1 X Standard, Line
Provincial Militia of Cuidad Real, 1 X Small, Reservist
Brigade Skirmishers – 2 bases

Artillery - 8lb Foot Battery, 1 X Standard, Veteran

Cavalry Brigade
Borbon Line Regiment, 1 X Standard, Reservist Campaign Cavalry
Espana Line Regiment, 1 X Small, Reservist Campaign Cavalry
Lancers of Utrera and Jerez, 1 X Small, Recruit Campaign Lancers

All in all, the game played very well with elements of the historical battle appearing in each of the re-fights.

baxterj

Re: Re-Fight of the Battle of Bailen

Post by baxterj »

Thanks for the scenario SD. Nice to see some Spanish on the table. I loved your ABs in your Flickr folder by the way. The lancers are British LD with the lances added?
John

zabarr

Post by zabarr »

Great minis, great scenario!

ShadowDragon

Post by ShadowDragon »

baxterj wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:16 am
Thanks for the scenario SD. Nice to see some Spanish on the table. I loved your ABs in your Flickr folder by the way. The lancers are British LD with the lances added?
John
Thanks, John and zabarr.

Yes, the lancers are British LD with added lances. The AB resting light dragoons had just the right pose I wanted for the lancers with the bonus that their sabres were sheathed.

ShadowDragon

Post by ShadowDragon »

John,

Your comment caused me to look at the Flickr albums which I haven't updated recently. I've added a couple more Spanish photos and two more albums - one of French troops I painted up for Bailen (e.g., Garde de Paris) and one of Joseph-Napoleon's army which is in preparation for Talavera and, with the new scenario book, Vitoria. Links to the albums:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmNK861T
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmNKg77F

Thanks for looking.

Paul

ShadowDragon

Post by ShadowDragon »

Just because it only allows two urls - here's the link to the Spanish album

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmKvGFQz

baxterj

Post by baxterj »

Thanks. I did theJoseph chevaulegers without lance based on the Luis Sorando articles. There is also a book that he did on Joseph’s army that I have coming in the mail. Lovely painting by the way. If you want more command figures, the 1806 Prussian set has some likely types. I also use the 1806 Prussian infantry casualty set.

ShadowDragon

Post by ShadowDragon »

baxterj wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:36 pm
Thanks. I did theJoseph chevaulegers without lance based on the Luis Sorando articles. There is also a book that he did on Joseph’s army that I have coming in the mail. Lovely painting by the way. If you want more command figures, the 1806 Prussian set has some likely types. I also use the 1806 Prussian infantry casualty set.
I have the same book coming in the mail. I thought about getting it some time ago but forgot before I found a source. Then when I was painting up my unit I started looking for online info on the pennant colour(s). I found nothing. I even wondered if they ever had lances, but - what the heck - several war games lists and scenarios thought so. So I went with yellow over red only because the hussars had yellow over red plumes. Only when I was done did I symboled across he book which has a chevauleger trooper on the cover with an all red pennant. But I’m leaving it because it looks good and the figure on the cover is a trooper with epaulettes - not shown in any other picture. So....the thin ice of rationalization. 😂

What figures did you use to do them without lances? Chevaulegers without lances is one of the gaps in figures on the market.

baxterj

Post by baxterj »

So I used the Saxon chevaulegers with French lancer heads. Are you on the GdeA Facebook group? I would put a picture up there, but I cant get into my photobucket folder.

ShadowDragon

Post by ShadowDragon »

baxterj wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:43 am
So I used the Saxon chevaulegers with French lancer heads. Are you on the GdeA Facebook group? I would put a picture up there, but I cant get into my photobucket folder.
Is it the FB General d’Armee group that says its based in Bologna?

I abandoned photobucket when they changed their business model. I understand that nothing’s ‘free’ but they handled it very poorly and the options didn't suit me. I wasn’t using it enough to justify the subscription price and the ‘free with advertising’ made it beyond annoying to use.