Limbers and clutter ?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Pyjamas

Re: Limbers and clutter ?

Post by Pyjamas »

I absolutely always aim having a limber team on the field per battery and a caisson for every division. Why? I just like the look of it, I can easily demonstrate a battery limbered or deployed ( my cannons come off the base and hitch to the limber spike) and the limber behind a deployed battery looks more cluttered.

Extra cost I know however I think the effort makes an already good looking game just that fraction better.

All the best

Carlo

Traffic

Post by Traffic »

Thanks again for the responses. I am not buying more/new it was just that a couple were needing a repaint and I wanted to check. One per Battery seems ideal (for what we are playing with) so I will have to try out some ideas

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

Pyjamas wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:21 am
I absolutely always aim having a limber team on the field per battery and a caisson for every division. Why? I just like the look of it, I can easily demonstrate a battery limbered or deployed ( my cannons come off the base and hitch to the limber spike) and the limber behind a deployed battery looks more cluttered.

Extra cost I know however I think the effort makes an already good looking game just that fraction better.
My thoughts almost exactly. The whole appeal of figure gaming is that you are representing the real world in miniature form. OK, so we simplify and take short cuts: you can’t possibly show everything. But to me taking away the horses from your artillery is just one step of abstraction too far. The models do have several practical roles to play, not least signalling if your battery is horse (six animals) or foot (four). Abstract away reality that little bit more and you might just as well be using cardboard counters to model your artillery batteries.

Of course everyone is free to populate their fantasy world with whatever and however many miniatures of whatever kind and scale they like. I just like mine with lots of dashing horse teams! :D

nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 »

I love all the clutter, Batteries come with wide bases, loads of crew, limbers, a couple of caissons and even an ambulance! The joy of 15mm I suppose.