Limbers and clutter ?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Traffic

Limbers and clutter ?

Post by Traffic »

With the scale is there any need to provide limbers? I have a handful which are in danger of reaching the top of the painting queue.

Archdukek

Re: Limbers and clutter ?

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Si,
To be honest I don’t bother with limbers, no wish to buy or paint them but they do look nice. Arguably we should use them to denote the crowded areas behind any deployed artillery battery but the rules don’t require them.

John

siggian

Post by siggian »

Yup, I turn the muzzle towards the enemy for unlimbered and away for limbered. Limbers are essentially eye-candy, which you can indulge or not according to your fancy.

baxterj

Post by baxterj »

One per battery for me, two for Russians

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

Strictly, the rules don’t require them other than to signal a battery’s limbered state, which can be done by other, less expensive and time-consuming means. To me though, they’re an integral part of an artillery battery and should be modelled on the table to show the considerable depth of a battery with its supports in real life — well over 100 metres in all, albeit with large gaps through which other units could march (but not stop!).

I’m trying to figure a simple way of representing casualties to horse teams and assorted support gear. It could probably be done by assigning additional ‘shock’ casualties on these elements on throwing a double for hits, or something of that sort. It would also work for Sharp Practice, where gamers have even less of an excuse for ignoring limbers, as you only need one model per side!

Traffic

Post by Traffic »

Again, thanks all, I have a couple which I wouldn't mind getting finished and If it is for eye candy probably enough of an excuse

zabarr

Post by zabarr »

I’ve never painted them in the past, but I’ll use them from GdA when I finally get around to painting up some guns.

Cearapeter

Post by Cearapeter »

Hi All

I have always use one limber per battery. They are placed behind the battery but are removed when the battery 'goes low on ammunition'.

CP

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

Just a thought, but perhaps you could do away with arty horse teams by showing the arty on much deeper bases than is usually the norm? If really keen you could even show an open limber, pile of ammo, buckets of water and other paraphernalia further rear of the deeper base.

EQUITES

Post by EQUITES »

Absolutely YES !
I have always use one limber per battery. When moving only the limber is on the table and when the battery is deployed I put the guns on the front
and the limber behind. I like the idea of removing the limber when the battery 'goes low on ammunition'.
(I play with 15mm scale)
Michele