When Bounce Through isnt,..

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Trailape

When Bounce Through isnt,..

Post by Trailape »

Hi
I've been informed that "If an artillery unit fires shot at a target and scores NO HITS then there is no chance of bounce through shots (CD) being inflicted on units that normally would be hit by bounce through".
This seems 'odd' to me.
Just because there hasn't been any appreciable casualties on a lead column of infantry that does not mean that following troops could suffer to a greater extent due to bounce through. I can think of numerous accounts of troops being hit by rounds that were intended to strike different targets. Now the rules might suggests differently for a variety of play balance reasons so can anyone confirm:
"If a primary target does not sustain casualties then the rules for 'Bounce through' are not applied to following unit(s) that would suffer bounce through if casualties HAD been sustained on the primary target?
Cheers
I AM MY BROTHER'S KEEPER

Archdukek

Re: When Bounce Through isnt,..

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Scott,
I can’t see anything in the rules or FAQ which would support the claim that there is no chance of bounce through shots if an artillery unit causes no hits on a target. The rule for possible bounce through hits on page 79 seems straightforward to me and contains no such condition.

I would agree with you that it is possible for bounce through hits to occur if the conditions stated on page 79 are met. You will know better than I, but I can envisage that the artillery may have misjudged the range and overshot the initial target and hit an enemy unit to the rear.

John Ewing

Edit: Just checked to see where this suggestion came from and think I’ve found it in the comments on your first video on the Quatre Bras refight. In this case I think Ricky has misread the rule on page 79. In the sentence “Roll one CD for each unit hit.” the unit being referred to is the unit which is subject to the bounce through fire, not the initial target unit. You only ever roll 1 CD for the effects of bounce through fire irrespective of how many hits were achieved on the initial target.

I must point out the error of his ways to Ricky when I next see him at the Club, assuming I still remember! :D :D

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

Yes, that's right.

Thank you John.

DB

Trailape

Post by Trailape »

Thanks
As I thought,..
Cheers
I AM MY BROTHER'S KEEPER

Trailape

Post by Trailape »

Archdukek wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:06 am
Hi Scott,
Edit: Just checked to see where this suggestion came from and think I’ve found it in the comments on your first video on the Quatre Bras refight. In this case I think Ricky has misread the rule on page 79. In the sentence “Roll one CD for each unit hit.” the unit being referred to is the unit which is subject to the bounce through fire, not the initial target unit. You only ever roll 1 CD for the effects of bounce through fire irrespective of how many hits were achieved on the initial target.

I must point out the error of his ways to Ricky when I next see him at the Club, assuming I still remember! :D :D
Please go easy,.. He was very genuine in his motivation to help I'm sure. ;)
I AM MY BROTHER'S KEEPER

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Trailape wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:22 am
Please go easy,.. He was very genuine in his motivation to help I'm sure. ;)
[/quote]

No worries, I’m sure he was trying to help. I know that he is very keen on the rules and is clearing enjoying your videos.

John

bellebsc

Post by bellebsc »

Good day chaps

Yes I did read the rules as I stated in the video as bounce through only happens if casualties on the target happen. I even went and read it again before posting my comments on the video as I genuinely thought I had this right.

With that being said....I will now amend my thinking 😂😂 After all I did learn something from the rules from the video and I've been playing the rules for years....and I really really do enjoy being corrected as its a great set of rules and I want to get it right. 😎😎 So yes you are all my motivators and John go easy on me at the club mate lol.

Thanks very much all.

Ricky.

Trailape

Post by Trailape »

I'm disappointed to hear you're not conducting formal Summary Authority Trials at your club,...
Piss Poor Effort :roll:
I AM MY BROTHER'S KEEPER

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Trailape wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:14 am
I'm disappointed to hear you're not conducting formal Summary Authority Trials at your club,...
Piss Poor Effort :roll:
As Ricky will no doubt confirm, our Club operates as an anarchist collective with a ruling Junta of officials condemned to serve on the Club Committee for life due to past errors of thought and behaviour. You’d never get agreement on a verdict. :D :D

John

bellebsc

Post by bellebsc »

I whole heartily confirm John. 😉😉😂

Ricky