Take the Ground (and be wiped out)

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Cearapeter

Take the Ground (and be wiped out)

Post by Cearapeter » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:49 pm

Evening Everyone

We had a very enjoyable game today. Just two areas of debate that I would seek your advice on.

"Take the ground"
My French column charged an Austrian Line. The line retreated and the French result was "Take the Ground". Now in taking the ground the unfortunate French column came into range of two Austrian lines and in the next bound it took 7 casualties from their combined fire. If it had not moved forward it would have taken no fire. I could not use the voluntary retire move as the column was not unformed.
My question is, did the column have to 'take the ground'. No self respecting commander would have placed his troops in such a situation.

"Hesitant Supports/Hesitant Firing"
Were we correct in saying that hesitant infantry must also fire straight ahead?
Can a hesitant unit support another?

Thanks as always

CP

Archdukek

Re: Take the Ground (and be wiped out)

Post by Archdukek » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:15 pm

Hi CP,
The definition of “Take the Ground!” in paragraph 3 on page 49 says:
May move up and occupy any part of the position that was occupied by the defeated enemy unit.”
So it’s permissive not obligatory. However, if you do Take the Ground then you can’t backtrack because you now find yourself within firing range of other enemy units. In the confusion of battle, no self respecting commander can guarantee to be able to control their troops whose enthusiasm might well carry them forward into danger.

Yes all infantry units in a Hesitant Brigade are restricted to firing straight ahead. See definition of Hesitant status on page 35 and Arc of Fire top of page 74.

Units in a Hesitant brigade can support one another, units in a Faltering brigade cannot normally, though a defending unit can be drawn into providing support. See Prohibited Supports on page 43.

John

Cearapeter

Post by Cearapeter » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:10 pm

Thank you John. We totally missed the defination on page 49.

Regards

Cearapeter

Post by Cearapeter » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:34 am

John

With regard to units from a hesitant brigade supporting each other, my understanding was that hesitant units could not move closer to the enemy (albeit they may wheel to meet a charge). If they were drawn into a melee as a result of 'supporting' would that not could as a forward movement, or am I being too 'picky'?

No issues at all with providing a supporting 'reroll'.

CP

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:53 am

Hi CP,
I think you are definitely being picky. :D

Units in a Hesitant brigade are not included in the list of Prohibited Supports so can act like any other support unit in my view. However, since Hesitant units cannot initiate a charge they will be acting on the defensive. They can provide Supporting fire and will engage any of the Attacker’s supports who move to melee them or if contacted by the charging unit.

A Hesitant result on the Command Roll takes away the brigade’s initiative and limits active movement by units in the brigade, but doesn’t restrict their ability to defend themselves.

John