Charges and Firing

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Polish Lancer

Charges and Firing

Post by Polish Lancer » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:23 am

Hi brains trust,
We had a game last night to introduce some guys to the game and a question came up and we did a little head scratching.

So a British line is deployed in front of a village occupied by the ewil French! A 2nd british line is deployed adjacent to the first line and is charging the French in the town. Now would you allow the line in front of the town to fire? Firing is before the melee, but one could assume the charging unit is storming in. We opted to not fire.

Archdukek

Re: Charges and Firing

Post by Archdukek » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:21 pm

Only defending support units can provide Supporting Fire as per paragraph 6 on page 45. Since the infantry chargers will have moved into contact with the BUA during the charge phase then presumably they will block the line of sight of the friendly infantry unit and prevent its firing. Might be different if they were charging a different face of the BUA.

John

Polish Lancer

Post by Polish Lancer » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:09 am

Pictures explain better

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:42 am

Thinking about this further, I don't think that you can fire with the second British unit as the charging unit will have closed into Melee contact during the Charge phase (para 6, page 49 and Charges against Garrisons on page 46) and firing into a Melee is expressly prohibited ( Who Can Fire? page 73). I think you made the right call.

You could, and I'm sure did, debate if some of the defenders were still occupying the face of the BUA opposite the potential firing unit thus providing a potential target. However, in the absence of any specific rules to the contrary I think it's best to stick with the core rules.

Thus I'd rule that the Garrison is in Melee contact and is ineligible as a target, even if the Melee has yet to be resolved.

John