Infantry Assault order

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Polish Lancer

Infantry Assault order

Post by Polish Lancer » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:24 am

Not sure if this question ahs come up but I was just reading through the rules for something to do and had a light bulb moment.

So say my brigade is opposite a hill occupied by then enemy which is 2-3 moves away. I issue the Infantry Assault order and give the brigade the (b. para) objective of taking that hill! Now by my reading the assault order stays with the brigade until the objective is achieved or they reach volley range.

So my assumption is that I order this assault by using 2 ADC's, but in subsequent moves I do not have to assign 2 ADC's to keep it active? But if the turn after the brigade goes Hesitant prior to achieving the objective would you need to issue the order again?
-------------------------
part 2
Massed column attacks

Massed column with 2 French Columns side by side wish to charge the Prussian Line. Now does the French need to issue the Infantry Assault order to charge with both battalions?

bigduke1327

Re: Infantry Assault order

Post by bigduke1327 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:47 am

Infanty Assault order stays active until the Brigade achieves its objective (takes the hill, clears the enemy away, etc). It does not need re-issuing even if the Brigade goes Hesitant on the way to it's objective.

Mart

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:23 am

As Mart says, the Infantry Assault Order remains in place until the objective is achieved. You don't need to spend any additional ADCs to keep it going or to restart it after a Hesitant result. The latter is just a temporary pause as the Brigadier adjusts his hat to the right jaunty angle. :-)

And yes you will need to use an Infantry Assault order if you wanted both Massed Columns to initiate separate charges, but why would you? Just designate one as the lead unit with the other acting as support. Both will then close to melee if that's the outcome of the Charge Procedure.

John

Polish Lancer

Post by Polish Lancer » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:30 am

We have not used massed columns until recently so just walking through it.

bigduke1327

Post by bigduke1327 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:46 pm

Don't forget that you need to be on Infantry Assault Orders to carry out Supported Charges as well as multiple charges.

Not on Infantry Assault- one single unsupported charge per Brigade
On Infantry Assault, Multiple Unit Charges or Supported Charges per Brigade.

Note though that as per point 5 on page 41, Charge Restrictions
5. Massed Column Formation. The attacker cannot declare multiple separate charges from a massed column formation against a single enemy unit.
So the answer to your second question is Massed Columns CANNOT declare multiple INDIVIDUAL charges against the SAME defender, even if their Brigade is on Infantry Assault orders. As John said, one would have to be the Lead Attacker, with the other(s) as supports, if on Infantry Assault.
Mart