One Hundred Days Scenario - Attack on Mont St Jean.

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

grompix

One Hundred Days Scenario - Attack on Mont St Jean.

Post by grompix » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:10 am

We played the 'Attack on Mont St Jean' scenario from the 1815 One Hundred Days supplement last Saturday.
We managed to get 10 turns but by then it was obvious that the French forces were so beaten-up that never going to achieve any of their objectives.
So it was an Allied victory.
Looking at an earlier post by BigDuke1327 on this forum, one of the things we may have played wrong was the arrival of reserves. It did seem a bit strange that the Union Brigade and Gobrecht's Lancers should both arrive at turn 4 thus potentially countering the effectiveness of either side's cavalry appearance (which in fact happened in our game). Dicing for the reserves as per the rules makes perfect sense - now!
Here are some annotated pics arranged in a kind of AAR of our battle.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 013&type=3
Cheers
Chris ;)
Last edited by grompix on Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigduke1327

Re: One Hundred Days Scenario - Attack on Mont St Jean.

Post by bigduke1327 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:04 pm

Yes that was my question about the arrival of 'Off Table' Timed Reserves, the consensus being that they should pay 2 ADC to be brought on AND have to Obey orders as well.

I also think we played our table too wide, which gave the French too much scope to get around the Allied flanks, especially the Allied Right flank which should (at the time the scenario is set, early afternoon) be a secure flank anchored by Le Haye Sainte.

Reading my Waterloo Companion (Adkin) he thinks Pictons forces occupied about 1400 metres. At the usual GdA scale of 1mm to 1 metre that would be 1.4 metres, about 55 inches, a touch under 5ft. I think this would better represent the confined cramped conditions of this particular battlefield.

Also need to come up with a rule for British Infantry in 4 deep line, simplest I guess is for them to fire at half effect (rounding up, as opposed to columns which round down). I seem to remember 4 deep lines being mentioned in General de Brigade, will have to look it up.

But a great scenario nonetheless, and one which I hope to repeat soon.

Mart

grompix

Re: One Hundred Days Scenario - Attack on Mont St Jean.

Post by grompix » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:42 am

We will probably play the scenario again sometime soon (but using the off table reserves correctly this time!). Maybe even try the larger option 8-)
Since we play in 25/28mm, we assume a ground scale of 1.5mm to the metre which makes Picton's 1,400 meter deployment frontage about 7ft on our table. There wasn't much chance of flanks being compromised, especially since we opted for historical starting deployment.
Your point about the British four ranks deep line in this battle is good one. I certainly would be interested in hearing other people's opinion on this (or even DB, the man himself, if he has any advice).
Chris :D