Gilly in the Barossa

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

nikjen66

Re: Gilly in the Barossa

Post by nikjen66 »

We’re planning to play our way through all the scenarios shortly so seeing your game has helped inspire me. Terrain looks fantastic and interesting to see such a swarm of Prussian Skirmishers and the French reliance on an artillery bombardment in a time limited game such as this.
And where were the Guard Empress Dragoons. Surely they could have forced their way across the ford against the landwher Cav??

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Lovely looking game and interesting results, but I have to ask "Where were the ADC's with their Brigade re-rolls?"
We also had some hesitancy in the French ranks originally when we tried this scenario, but using the ADCs for re-rolls greatly helped.

John

Sgt Steiner

Post by Sgt Steiner »

Great looking game

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

It's always a tricky judgement call whether to stick with Artillery Assault orders which can soak up 3 ADCs to be sure you get it, or use the ADCs for Brigade taskings for the command re-rolls. In our game the French got 5 ADCs in the first turn so had the luxury of both. However, after that they focussed on using the ADC's to support their infantry brigades advancing - a wise decision given their proven ability to roll low for command tests. That kept up the pressure on both flanks of the defenders, leaving the artillery to chip away at the garrison which collapsed as the French reserve brigade rolled forward to take the village.

John

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve »

Very nice looking game. We played it a couple of weeks ago and got in several turns with the French being declared the victor. Oddly enough it was the Empress Dragoons who were the heros on the French side. I played the Prussians and put my 2 fusilier battalions in skirmish order. I was really amazed how effective multiple small skirmish units were. I used 2 and 3 base SK stands to maximize my CD.

You had a very nice terrain set-up, looking forward to hearing more from the book. Thanks for taking the time to write up a nice report.

John

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

I’m assuming 15/18mm troops on a 6’ x 4’ table. Lovely stuff! Are you planning more battles from the scenario book?

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

Skirmish screens over effective? In truth they do look rather dense...