recovering from Loss of fire discipline and being unformed

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

de-pulley

recovering from Loss of fire discipline and being unformed

Post by de-pulley »

If a unit is unfortunate enough to suffer Loss of Fire Discipline and become unformed , in turn two can it recover from both ? in turn three if it does not move or only one ?
DP

Archdukek

Re: recovering from Loss of fire discipline and being unformed

Post by Archdukek »

Yes you can recover from both in the same turn, they are different effects. One is a loss of control over the firing line by the officers making it less effective, the other is a more general loss of control. Reforming represents the officers regaining control over the unit.
You can recover from both in the same turn it occurred if you don't move in the subsequent movement phase.

John

de-pulley

Post by de-pulley »

Ok thank you for getting back so quick , we were a bit unsure , so i thought i would ask
thank you mark

giobaratto

Post by giobaratto »

Hi Archdukek,
looking to old answers before starting a new tread I find your answer to the fire disciple recover, that is was I wanted to ask.
Anyway, maybe I missng something but i did not find it even in the FAQs, A unit to recover from fire discipline could not move or change formation, pag.59, but recover from Unformed, I read somewhere in thhese pages, is considered a movement.
So it's really possible to recover vfrom both Fire disciplene and Unformed status in the same movement phase?

thank you in advance for any thoughts about this,
Happy Easter to everybody - stay safe

Giorgio

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Georgio,
Good question.

The loss of Fire Discipline represents a temporary loss of control by the Officers which is normally corrected by the unit remaining stationary during a movement phase as you say.

Becoming Unformed is a more serious disruption of the unit’s internal cohesion and Reforming from that state requires more effort on the part of the officer to bring the men back into formation and good order. I cannot see how they could possibly do that without exerting sufficient control over their men to resolve the Fire Discipline problem. So to my mind the act of Reforming should deal with both.

However, you may well be right that by the rules a unit needs to reform which involves some movement and therefore cannot recover from an FD result until the next Turn. That seems excessive to me.

We need Dave Brown to tell us what his intentions were.

Happy Easter and stay safe.
John

bellebsc

Post by bellebsc »

Hi John

Did we find out the answer to the question as its quite interesting.

Thanks

Ricky

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Ricky,
I’m not aware of any response from Dave Brown on this topic.

John

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

Reforming a unit will also recover its fire discipline.

Although the battalion is technically moving, this movement is designed to regain order and formation and that includes Fire Discipline.

DB