95th skirmishing

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Maturin

95th skirmishing

Post by Maturin »

Hi Guys
The 95th (let us assume they are classed as elite - would not want to provoke anyone....) arrive on the battlefield at the run as a small battalion in close order of companies. How many bases do they provide if then subsequently want to
a) deploy as light skirmish order : 3 + 1 for Elite battalion status ?

b) feed the whole unit into the brigade screen?
on pg 66 there is a note for brigade skirmish screen deployment "If the brigade has additional Light companies attached, (e.g.British with a 95th or 60th Rifle company or Prussian with a Jäger attachment) , add an extra base for each attached company."
So is this 3 + 1 for each base already in the existing screen or just the 4 as above in a)?
cheers
T

Archdukek

Re: 95th skirmishing

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Maturin,
If the 95th deploy as an independent skirmish unit then yes it will be 3 bases as a small unit plus 1 for being elite.

The rules for reinforcing a brigade Skirmish screen with a battalion are set out on page 67, so in this case it would again be 3+1 bases.

The rule you refer to on page 66 does not apply to battalions reinforcing the screen, it's for those situations where one or two rifle companies are attached to the brigade as was common in the Peninsula. So in your example it would still just be the 4 bases of rifles unless there were other attached rifle companies.

John

Maturin

Post by Maturin »

Thanks John
Just needed to know how many bases to provide for an encounter at Vimeiro this weekend.
😀
Cheers
Tim

AFPU

Post by AFPU »

Hi

I have a similar question as I am building up a Peninsular army, part of which is Sir Rufane Shaw Donkin's brigade that had the 87th and 88th Foot plus 5 companies of 60th Royal American Rifles. So if deployed purely as skirmishers would this be 5 bases (one for each company)?

Regards
Gary

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Gary,
In that case the 60th are effectively a light infantry battalion so it will depend on the numbers involved whether it deploys as a small, standard or large unit. You would then calculate the number of skirmish bases they can deploy as accordingly.

John

AFPU

Post by AFPU »

Hi John

Thanks for the response. Based on the numbers then they would be a small unit, so three or four bases. My standard infantry bases sizes are 50mm x 40mm deep and to allow for the spacing of the skirmishers Ii.e. up to one bases between each) I am basing my skirmishers on 100mm wide bases.

Gary

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Gary,
You might find 100mm wide bases to be a little awkward to place in terrain. I'd go with 50x20mm myself with fewer figures and use 2 bases per Skirmisher base or leave a gap.

John

AFPU

Post by AFPU »

Hi John

Worth considering. I am basing my force around the ORBAT from Talavera where the 2nd Brigade(8 7th & 88th Foot) had 5 companies of 5th/60th Rifles attached that acted as skirmishers. On the basis that the light company normally carried out skirmish duties (i.e. 1 coy out of 10), would there be a case for having the 5/60th depicted as 5 skirmish bases?

Regards
Gary

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Gary,
At the end of the day it's up to you how you want to organise your force. However, I would say that what you have in Donkin's brigade is not 5 attached companies of the 5/60th, generating 5 skirmish bases, but rather the core of the battalion which has been reduced in number by attaching out individual companies to other brigades in the army.

So to my mind Donkin's brigade skirmish screen would have 3 bases (1 for each battalion present in the brigade including the 5/60th) which you could reinforce at the start of the game with 3 more skirmish bases from the 5/60th as its a small battalion. If you then wanted to add an extra skirmish base on the basis that the 5/60th are elites I wouldn't argue. That would give you a 7 base brigade skirmish screen but you lose a bit of tactical flexibility because having deployed the 5/60th in that way you can't reform them into a close order unit.

If instead you want to retain the 5/60th as a separate unit you could deploy it as 4 skirmish bases as a small Elite Light Infantry unit. Those are your options I would suggest.

John

AFPU

Post by AFPU »

Hi John

Many thanks, that makes a lot of sense. So are you suggesting that I should be representing the 5/60th as a small 3 base battalion in close order, which could also be a 3 base skirmish unit, that as you say could then augment the brigade skirmish line that consists of a skirmish base from the 87th, 88th and 5/60th. That's interesting and I had not thought of it like that.

I also like the idea of deploying the 5/60th as an elite skirmish unit comprising 4 bases. Plenty of food for thought, so thank you very much.

Regards
Gary