A bit of BUA on the side

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Maturin

A bit of BUA on the side

Post by Maturin »

A column (C) supported by a line on its flank (L1), decides to charge a line (L2) with a garrisoned BUA (G) on a flank directly opposing L1. Both are within charge distance. C aims for center of L2 but L1 overlaps both the L2 and G. The charge is successful.

Q. G cannot support L2 so C & L2 should melee alone, but what happens to L1 if it tries to join the melee (it is in range) as doing so would mean L1 now contacts both G and L2.

Does
a) L2 melee separately with G
b) All 4 melee together

Would this also be the case if G was a gun battery (in the open obviously)?

Cheers
T

DCRBrown

Re: A bit of BUA on the side

Post by DCRBrown »

T,

Any chance of a pic to assist with clarity?

DB

Maturin

Post by Maturin »

Hi DB
Actually I think I may have found the solution in that this support would not be allowed under the directly opposing enemy rule?
Here is the pic anyway.
Cheers
Tim

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

T,

Correct!

L2 can't support as it's directly opposed by the garrison who are not involved in the charge.

Thus L1 must charge alone.

DB

Maturin

Post by Maturin »

DB
Right at last...! :-)
So having established that ; could the garrison fire (defensively) in the charge?
or would the rather confusing rule on Pg45 (...may provide support fire...providing they have no nearer targets whatsoever within effective or volley range to their front) mean that it could because the column was nearer or it couldn't because the now non supporting line was directly opposing.
Cheers
T

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

For what it's worth I would say that the garrison has a clear target to its front which it has to fire on, not the column. Besides any fire from the side of the BUA is blocked by the friendly unit in your diagram.

John

Maturin

Post by Maturin »

Thanks John, yes the pic isn't quite up to demonstrating this I agree, would have been more illustrative if the column were a line.
So do you think the sentence should be read as ...'providing they have no other targets...' rather than nearer targets?

Tim

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Tim,
I think the wording is fine as it is. Since I would always measure ranges from the centre of the firing unit, or in this case the front face of the BUA, I would say that the supporting enemy line in your diagram is the nearest target. If the garrison could fire out of the flanking face of the BUA then the column would be nearer and could be targetted, but it can't since its fire is blocked by the friendly unit.

John

Maturin

Post by Maturin »

John
OK nearest takes precendent over directly opposing then.....so if it was this
then the line support for the charge would be not allowed as before, but the BUA would ignore the opposing target and fire at the nearest (charging unit) instead?
Not sure you should measure from the centre of the BUA though because it would mean supporting units might even miss a line at 5cm?
Just learning the charge mechanism in this game is certainly tricky
Tim

EQUITES

Post by EQUITES »

Hi Tim,
I measure the fire distance from the center of each side of BUA...then in your picture the Garrison fires to opposing Line in front (prominent target) rather than to fire to very partial target charging.
Michele