Howitzers

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica, DCRBrown

LordRoss

Howitzers

Post by LordRoss »

I am planning on recreating Vimiero battle soon.

I was thinking of how effective the shrapnel form the howitzer guns were against the French in that battle, and whether there was any rules or advice I could use to recreate this different form of artillery.

I couldn’t really see anything in the rules or FAQ unless I’m missing it somewhere. Perhaps it’s too irrelevant, but I do want to give them something to make it feel different to usual 6pdr/9pdr guns.

Maybe ability to shoot over heads of battalions in front, but restricted to close and effective range, and maybe they would benefit from an extra casualty dice or modifiers on artillery firing table? Well actually I don’t really know if they are any more deadlier than usual guns. But they sound nasty at least.
bellebsc

Re: Howitzers

Post by bellebsc »

Hi mate.

Try this. We use it and it come from the Border Reivers Wargames Society.

SHRAPNEL OR SPHERICAL CASE SHOT
The British introduced shrapnel or ‘spherical case shot’ from 1808 onwards. This ammunition can only be fired at
effective or long range. The British player must announce whether shrapnel is loaded before rolling for hits. If a DT
(Discipline Test) is scored then the number of hits is read off the close-range battery fire row on the Firing Casualty
Table and an extra CD (Casualty Dice) is rolled. Any hits with shrapnel that do not inflict a DT are halved.

Ricky
LordRoss

Post by LordRoss »

Thanks for advice!

Yea I certainly think utilising discipline tests in some manner sound right approach.

Although upon research, I now realise that Howitzers are actually only 1 or 2 or the 6 guns usually grouped together. So maybe it’s too low level to be considered as a separate entity.

In my head I was thinking having unit of 6pdrs on vimiero hill and a unit of howitzers with Acland. But I see I may have got carried away a bit with the thought of shrapnel devastation.

I aim to use 2 guns to represent 6. I guess I will just get normal 6/9pdrs, as one howitzer model will seem odd being half the unit. And then possibly just state out loud the type of shot being used as you recommended.
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Lord Ross,
I’d need to check my sources when I’m home, but if memory serves one of the advantages of spherical case shot or shrapnel was that it could be fired from a gun and was not restricted to howitzers. That was certainly the case later but I think it applied in the Napoleonic Wars too.

So Ricky’s suggested rule could still be useful to you.
John
Tomm

Post by Tomm »

Slightly different thing iirc. Spherical case was more effective than standard case because it had lots of musket balls in it as well as the bursting charge.