Quatra Bras - Hills and Ridges

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

Cearapeter

Quatra Bras - Hills and Ridges

Post by Cearapeter »

Hello Everyone

Just about to play 'Quatre Bras' from the 'One Hundred Days' booklet. Looking at the map, there are a number of small hills, and a ridge line running from the crossroads.

I have a view that the battlefield was open countryside with hills/ridges playing little part. The scenario note makes no reference to either the hills or the ridge and as such I do not consider them as per 'Dead Ground Defination' Page 64. e.g. troops cannot hide behind them.

Any views would be welcome.

CP

DCRBrown

Re: Quatra Bras - Hills and Ridges

Post by DCRBrown »

C,

The QB battlefield is one of undulating, rolling terrain. One reason why Ney's initial advance was cautious, he probably couldn't see much of the Allied positions and didn't want to be caught by British in line similar to the Spanish Peninsular combats.

So, each hill/ridge is high enough to conceal troops behind, but maybe not enough to invoke the dead ground ruling.

DB

Cearapeter

Post by Cearapeter »

Thank you David

Would it be fair to say that if the troops are concealed they cannot be targeted or fire themselves if they are immediately behind the hill.

CP

karl1809

Post by karl1809 »

Hi Cearapeter , my tuppence worth, for what it's worth

Per P.64 Visibility and Line of Sight: Dead Ground: Whilst it doesn't specifically mention "rolling terrain", only hills' ridges, hillocks, low rises, BUA and woods. DCR said "each hill/ridge is high enough to conceal troops behind, but maybe not enough to invoke the dead ground ruling". However, we cannot have it both ways. We have all driven on roads with undulating rises and dips or even walked over rural areas of the same type of terrain. We can see the rise for a brief period and then it becomes lost to sight again. So we pays our money and takes our chances, flip a coin, draw a card or roll a dice, the enemy are either (A) in reverse slope positions effectively, unseeing and unseen OR (B) in undulating terrain and capable of seeing and therefore being seen, even if not capable of being fired upon. But, each side is aware there are Enemy there and adopt appropriate stance and tactics. In the instance quoted, I personally would opt for option (B) in the circumstances outlined.