GDA2

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

Marshal Rob

Re: GDA2

Post by Marshal Rob »

Me again,
Dave, I have just read the thread on volley fire against BUA - To satisfy all it needs to be simple - so try this:-
Columns don't shoot. Treat the rest as if skirmish fire.
Large line - 3 CD
Standard - 2CD
Small - 1CD
Hit on 5, 6 - maybe even hit on 6.
Cheers
Marshal Rob
fabrizios

Post by fabrizios »

hi all,
for me it makes no sense to have an infantry line firing versus a BUA. I cannot imagine a 600 men line in front of a BUA aiming and firing against the defending troops. BUA have to be assalted in column (that is break order) and that's all! For sure skirmish and artillery are the only kind of army that can fire against the occupants, not the infantry!
This is my view...
Igor2020

Post by Igor2020 »

I think the rules work well as written, the only change I would make would be to give more of a role to the Divisional commander. Men such as Picton and Craufurd clearly had an impact as did a certain corps commander called Ney.

Igor
DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

I2020,

;)

DB
SvenL

Post by SvenL »

I would say that I like the rules the way they are now.
Minor tweeks.
What I would like to have is more scenarios. I have both the Waterloo and Peninsular books.
I feel I would like some of for example the 1805 campaign. Maybe they are somewhere that I dont know about .

Sven
vlad48

Post by vlad48 »

Hi all,
A bit late to this dance but here are a few thoughts.
One, since I introduced GdA to our nine-player veteran gamer club it has become our Nappy rule set of choice. Overall everyone quite likes it and I know they wouldn't favour extensive changes in a new volume.
So put us down for favoring the scenario and campaign expansion-book idea - with perhaps a few minor rule tweaks.
On rules tweaks/clarifications, here are some suggestions.
1. Spell out that units that fail Fire Discipline are essentially Unformed (eg when giving Support rerolls in defending charges) - that is how we play it
2. Stop the double layering of Fresh Hits/Cumulative Hits against chargers. The rules already make it tricky for infantry attackers with the Infantry Assault requirement, they obviously must take closing fire, but then giving them the double penalty for casualties seems to pile it on. (Observation: it also serves to mainly punish the French players as many scenarios have them as the attackers!)
3. Optional rule for Brigade Activation - to keep games from bogging down while retaining friction, we "home rule" that a unit that was Hesitant the previous turn will only require 2+ to activate on the next turn, instead of the usual 3+. This tweak called "the Dave rule" has proved very popular here.
My main other thought here - and I don't know if it is possible and stay true to the "granularity level" of the rules - would be to somehow simplify the Morale and recovery section.
I use my own 1-page Cheat Sheet and almost half is taken up with the differences between rout, retreat, retire - an then Hesitant, Faltering and Demoralized brigades. While I appreciate what each morale state represents it does demand constant referencing; I don't know if simplified or stripped down optional morale rules would be desirable but I wanted to add it in.
But I'd largely keep the rest - including the current shooting tables instead of a multi-dice system - and keep Melee at the end of the turn.
There you go - all the best!
- Walt
BrassedOff

Post by BrassedOff »

David, please don't change or water-down anything, except to clarify. Our newly formed group love these rules. (https://thewarcrow.blogspot.com/2021/08 ... neral.html) I've waited nearly half a century for a set of rules as good as this. Having read every published Waterloo eyewitness account (many thanks to Glover, Field, Franklin et al), in my very humble opinion, they reflect best what should happen in a Napoleonic battle.
DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

Quick question.

How often do players use the Forwards tasking to increase the charge move?

DB
BrassedOff

Post by BrassedOff »

Re: Forwards tasking. Have tried to use it twice in last four games. First time proved very effective. Second time couldn't get cavalry to obey orders (8 consecutive failed rolls, see above) so didn't come off.
john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve »

My main other thought here - and I don't know if it is possible and stay true to the "granularity level" of the rules - would be to somehow simplify the Morale and recovery section.
I use my own 1-page Cheat Sheet and almost half is taken up with the differences between rout, retreat, retire - an then Hesitant, Faltering and Demoralized brigades. While I appreciate what each morale state represents it does demand constant referencing; I don't know if simplified or stripped down optional morale rules would be desirable but I wanted to add it in.
But I'd largely keep the rest - including the current shooting tables instead of a multi-dice system - and keep Melee at the end of the turn.
Funny, this is the area I have the most difficulty remembering so I agree with vlad48.

I also agree that more scenario books are high on the list, the greatest weakness with Pickett's Charge (which is a great ruleset) is lack of scenarios. I believe there are only 2 official ones out there.

Thanks,

John