Firing on a BUA

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

Cearapeter

Firing on a BUA

Post by Cearapeter »

Hello Everyone

Just about to fight the 'Bridges at Zadorra'.

I note in the 'Special Rules' for this scenario it states that all volley fire on a BUA counts as an 'inferior volley' (this 'inferior volley' aspect is not referenced in the main rules). The main rules states that all volley fire on a BUA is halved.

So my question(s) are -

(a) would volley fire on a BUA in this scenario be 'inferior volley'? (Applying Special Rules Only)

(b) would volley fire on a BUA in this scenario be 'inferior volley' and 'Half Casualties'? (Applying Special Rules and Main Rules?

I must admit I love these rules but having special rules divorced for the main rules gives me a problem.

Keep safe everyone

nikjen66

Re: Firing on a BUA

Post by nikjen66 »

Yeah, several scenarios in the book introduce the use of inferior volleys for all troops to reflect the difficulty in units brings fire to bear due to the nature of terrain. I think in this scenario if fire crosses the stream/river line it counts as inferior fire and in cover for artillery due to trees and marshy edges to the water edges.

Just play fire into the BAU as usual for inferior troops and half, once you’ve deducted for cover of course. After a couple of turns you’ll realise why they villages were taken at the bayonet because firing will have little, if any effect, on the defenders. Fix bayonets and get at ‘em!

polish lancer

Post by polish lancer »

Option B, inferior volley and half casualties. When this one was play tested we found that the British volleys even with half casualties simply overpowered the defenders.

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

PL,

Firing against a BUA incurs Inferior Volley, -1 for cover, then casualties are halved.

So, on an average roll of 7, modified to 6, that a ½ casualty possibility per volley.

One potential rule change under active consideration/discussion is that you cannot "volley" against units in BUAs. The only firing permissible is artillery and skirmishers.

DB

Cearapeter

Post by Cearapeter »

mOrning David

Not allowing volley fire against BUAs would simplify matters.

CP

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

C,

I agree. This is just one of the many aspects I'm looking at for a potential GdA2.

It needs to overcome two things:

a) What did formed troops actually do when encountering a BUA? I'm inclined to agree that they probably didn't deliver formed volleys, but what did they do? Just charge is the most likely answer, though a bit more research is required here.

b) It also needs to overcome the wargamer's inevitable "Why can't I shoot!!" question...there needs to be a rational or substitute rule to address this question.

DB

nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 »

A lot accounts that you read indicate that defending troops in BUA where quite dispersed. Often references to companies/wings/detachments as opposed formed Battalions. This also often applies to the attacking forces. There are firefights going on but at very close range and in small bodies, often with a gun or two thrown in. And to add to the mix cavalry are occasionally mentioned as driving foot from villages, or preventing infantry breaking into them🤔🤔
The good thing about GdA is lack of complication (once you’ve worked out charges! 😱😱🤪🤪).
Currently garrisons get a shot at charges, this is seldom game changing if the chargers are fresh. After that it’s fisticuffs with both sides adding reinforcements in the second round. The outcome of this can often be decisive as two or more units retreating will result in someone faltering. So charging in is a risky business.
But, I still feel that charging in with the bayonet is a better representation of what happened with formed troops rather than volley firing. I just wonder whether cavalry should also be allowed to charge into villages (obvs not alongside infantry) and with huge penalties applied to ensure that they can only be effective against poor quality or beaten up foot. Just a thought.
Reinforcing, in the second round, doesn’t require the attacker to be on infantry assault, this seems a bit strange to me- perhaps the rules could be reviewed so that only those brigades on assault can reinforce an attack on a BUA.
Just some more thoughts.

zabarr

Post by zabarr »

DCRBrown wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:42 am
C,

I agree. This is just one of the many aspects I'm looking at for a potential GdA2.

It needs to overcome two things:

a) What did formed troops actually do when encountering a BUA? I'm inclined to agree that they probably didn't deliver formed volleys, but what did they do? Just charge is the most likely answer, though a bit more research is required here.

b) It also needs to overcome the wargamer's inevitable "Why can't I shoot!!" question...there needs to be a rational or substitute rule to address this question.

DB
GdA2? Please tell me more :)

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

Z,

Probably better off in a new thread.

DB

nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 »

Still waiting for a GdA2 thread. 🤔🤔