Off table reserves revisited

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

bellebsc

Off table reserves revisited

Post by bellebsc »

Hi John.

I know it's been asked but need help in a clarification of the off table reserves and whilst using CinC optional rules.

Playing the 100 days scenario MONT ST JEAN in where the French have lancers as off table. Now as the lancers are part of the infantry division ( 5 on table brigades and 1 off table the lancers )then how do you activate them if you only have one off table reserve dice in where you need two to do so?

My thoughts were the CinC who is veteran can use one of his dice roles but still needing a 5 or 6 to release the lancers early. Also is the CinC restricted in command radius for an off table reserve as in the lancers come on the left of the table whilst the CinC is at the far right of the table over 72?

This is my first time believe it or not using off table whilst using the optional rule.

I hope I'm making sense.

Ricky

polish lancer

Re: Off table reserves revisited

Post by polish lancer »

My view of this scenario is that Gobrecht's Lancers automatically appears on table turn 4, no early release. Whereas Milhaud's cavalry may enter from turn 4, no early release either. You do not use the off table ADC until the brigade enters the table and therefore you need to allocate 2 ADC's from your on table pool to activate off table reserves that are not timed reserves. I not sure about the command radius issue as I would assume you can place Ney and the cavalry to be in range. That's my view of the world today, hope that helps.

bellebsc

Post by bellebsc »

Hi polish lancer

So on the turns the off table units arrive are they still classed as off table?

Reason for asking is I'm trying to find the value of off table dice needing a 5 or a 6 if they can't be used as once the off reserve reach the table they only need one ADC at a normal role.

I'm truly confused

Ricky

bellebsc

Post by bellebsc »

Hi lancer.

Went back over what you said.

My own pool of ADCs are needed to activate an off table reserve but I need five or sixes to do so within that pool of dice... which now makes sense.

Ricky

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Ricky,

Just come to this and I’m not sure I fully understand your dilemma, but I will try to help.

An off table reserve brigade contributes one dice on which you need to roll a “5,6” to gain an ADC each turn, but once the pool of ADCs is determined you can use them for any tasking. There is no link back to the brigade which “generated” them. There is no such thing as an “off table reserve” ADC. So normally you can use any 2 available ADCs to activate an off table reserve brigade as per the “Commit Reserve!“ tasking on page 32.

There is no distance restriction in the basic game on how far away a brigade is from the CinC when posting ADCs. If you want to use the CinC Command Radius optional rule then I suggest you limit that to on table ADC postings and not apply it to committing off table reserves.

From a quick read of the scenario I’d agree with polish lancer that while Gobrecht’s Lancers can contribute to the ADC pool as an off table reserve brigade from the outset of the game, the brigade itself arrives on Turn 4 and cannot be committed sooner. They are effectively timed reinforcements. Once they arrive on table they can be activated with a single ADC like any other reserve brigade.

John

bellebsc

Post by bellebsc »

Hi John.

You nailed my dilemma as I was thinking that off table reserve was a separate dice but it was polish lancer who helped make the penny drop.

As for the CinC radius then your suggestion works for me.

Ricky