Division without brigade skirmish screen

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Greuthungi

Division without brigade skirmish screen

Post by Greuthungi »

Is it desirable to have no brigade skirmish screen in a division?
Two examples from Wagram 1809:

A. The Saxon 1st division of IX Corps had two brigades: 1. Two grenadier battalions and 2. Three large battalions - which should probably be counted as recruits . The 2nd and 3rd divisions had light infantry and plenty of skirmishers. Should I reorder the battalions or the brigades so I can give the 1st Division a skirmish screen, or just leave as is?

B. The Austrian Grenadier Reserve Corps consisted of grenadiers only. They were told not to skirmish. Should they not generate a brigade skirmish screen for this battle?
Use the Consolidated Arsenal! It's here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... /htmlview#

nikjen66

Re: Division without brigade skirmish screen

Post by nikjen66 »

Hi G,

The Skirmish screen isn’t mandatory as far as I’m aware. And some scenarios might require larger/smaller/none due to the circumstances on the day. If you’re designing a scenario based on a historical battle then you should take account local orders/arrangements as long as they don’t so restrict players that they end up horribly disadvantaged. It’s fair to say that some troops didn’t skirmish because of lack of ability/skills. But, if it was the Brigadier who decided on his own initiative that his troops didn’t, to keep them formed up for a shock attack say, then as the Corps commander you might not be bothered by this level of detail or if you’re a micro-Manager you might want to override him? That option should be there to allow gamers to play within the rules but allowing them the historical flexibility whilst still being the ‘boss’.

Nick

Greuthungi

Post by Greuthungi »

That sounds good Nick, I think the lack of skirmishers in the first division makes sense for Wagram.

Thanks,
Eltjo
Use the Consolidated Arsenal! It's here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... /htmlview#

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Eltjo,

To answer your initial question, I would say it is definitely not desirable to have no skirmish screen in a division. However, as Nick says it isn’t compulsory to have one. See the second paragraph under “The Brigade Skirmish Line” on page 65. It’s the player’s choice whether to deploy the Skirmish screen but it must be made at the start of the game.

John