Cavalry Charging Attack Column

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

john de terre neuve

Cavalry Charging Attack Column

Post by john de terre neuve » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:57 am

Had another great game of GdA last night, played The Old Guard Attack scenario from a 100 days.

We played 6 turns in 3 hours on a 6x4' table with 18mm troops. Did not get to a conclusion as usual, it is a bit of a challenge to finish up we find although we hardly ever reference the rule book. I think if we could have got into 2-3 more turns, the French would have won but who knows.

We wonder sometimes if the skirmishers slow the game, although I like their mechanism.

I was surprised to see that infantry in an Attack column is as good as a Square in respect to defensive firing and Charge resolution.

I am curious about this, and wonder if someone could explain it to me.

Thanks,

John

bellebsc

Re: Cavalry Charging Attack Column

Post by bellebsc » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:02 pm

Hi John

If you check old posts on the forum then you'll see a great response about cavalry against infantry column and you'll see that it's still best to get your infantry into square.

IMO skirmishers make the game, imagine leaving your foot battery without cover and the effect skirmishers can have against them. Another example is I've managed to stop fresh infantry charging as I'd get 1 to 3 game turns peppering them before they charge my infantry which hampers them from charging home.

Skirmishers are part of Napoleonic warfare and as rules go GDA have managed to capture their importance and even vulnerabilities on the field.

R

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:27 pm

Thanks, here is the link for those interested. viewtopic.php?f=41&t=10554&p=69464&hili ... umn#p69464

Certainly it explains it well.

This was a single cavalry unit vs a single infantry AC, both were elite but cavalry was small unit. Result of charge was melee, cavalry lost by 1.

I really like the skirmishers so would not take them out of the game. We did make an error last night in how we played them, it would be nice to get a game in more than once every couple of months as the first turn is always slow.

John
Last edited by john de terre neuve on Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:53 am

J de TN,

I'm glad you like skirmishers as I feel they are the fourth formation that make our games Napoleonic.

To me, removing skirmishers is a bit like removing Line formation or removing Column formations. It's the formations that make the game Napoleonic with skirmishing playing a major role. The idea that skirmish formation is not as significant as other formations has been fostered in our minds, perhaps, by traditional rules not accurately representing the role of this formation/tactic, IMHO.

DB

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:11 am

DCRBrown wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:53 am
To me, removing skirmishers is a bit like removing Line formation or removing Column formations. It's the formations that make the game Napoleonic with skirmishing playing a major role. The idea that skirmish formation is not as significant as other formations has been fostered in our minds, perhaps, by traditional rules not accurately representing the role of this formation/tactic, IMHO.

DB
I think that a lot of Napoleonic Wargamers and Wargames rules have worked on the assumption that skirmish companies were deployed to screen their own battalion and that was all. They tend to ignore the common practice of forming brigade skirmish units by combining skirmish and other light companies. I like how GdA models that important element.

John

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:44 am

For sure, I have no thoughts of eliminating skirmishers from the game. I like how they look and how they function. As you can see I have many on bespoke bases especially for GdA. https://fuentesdeonoro.blogspot.com/201 ... guard.html

I quite liked this scenario and would have liked to brought it to conclusion. Recently to get in a game of GdA, I have had to travel 500 km which is OK but it does limit the frequency of play so the first one to two turns are always a litte slow.

John

nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:11 pm

We played the Mont St Jean scenario over the last couple of Tuesdays. The battle culminated in the British guard cavalry been thrown at a fresh brigade of French Infantry, all in column except one square.

Of the three charges one of the veteran units charged home and wiped out the opposing column in melee. The other two charges failed to charge home and retired with losses. Unfortunately one of those units had Somerset attached and he was killed on a 10 on the risk to general roll, so the Brigade faltered and that was that!

It is hard to charge home frontally even with good quality heavy cavalry against fresh Infantry in column, but when you do it can be spectacular. The same turn fresh French Cuirassiers, pumped up with Glory and led from the front, rode down a Hanoverian line and charged on into the flank of a second one. Game Over!