AWI version

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

joe.harrison89

AWI version

Post by joe.harrison89 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:36 pm

Hi All,

Does anybody know what is next for Mr. Brown and will there be an AWI release based on the mechanics of GDA and Picketts Charge.

I know about the amendments that people have worked on but it would be great to see a full official release.

Regards
Joe

vlad48

Re: AWI version

Post by vlad48 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:03 pm

Getting an official AWI version of the system would be great but I wonder if the economics of writing and printing a rather specialized title would work. As well, David has been working on his GdA scenario supplements and those have yet to be published so that will likely be his priority. And if we are creating a wish list, I'd love to see a volume on the SYW - although I believe there is a bigger "market" for AWI on both sides of the Atlantic.

joe.harrison89

Post by joe.harrison89 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:33 pm

I didn't know about the scenarios supplements but it is very good news.

It could be possible to include the mods in a supplement rather than a full blown volume and that could work for both SYW and AWI.

At the moment I haam just happy with having a great system of rules for two of my favourite periods , in the form of PC and GDA!

j1mwallace

Post by j1mwallace » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:03 pm

If you go to the Border Reiver wargames page you will find a complete and free set of amendments that we have been using for AWI .

joe.harrison89

Post by joe.harrison89 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:30 pm

Thanks Jim, they look very good! I will print them and give them a try :)

vlad48

Post by vlad48 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:05 am

Question for the chaps from the Border Reivers. In your conversion document you correctly lay out that skirmishers weren't normally used as they were in Napoleonics - but rather as loose infantry to occupy woods, walls but not form formal skirmish lines.
How do you handle that in play? If the other side has skirmishers in front of close order infantry in the open, do you just ignore the skirms in this case?
Thanks in advance as our club plans to try your variant in our next game night.

grompix

Post by grompix » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:46 am

Hi Valad48, We could do that but in practice not found it necessary. Our players tend to use their skirmishers to occupy terrain features anyway- maybe because we do tend to have quite a lot of terrain in our AWI games and such troops are more useful in that role. In other respects we treat groups of skirmishers just like in GdA - but with the restrictions imposed in our amendments. They seem to function OK.
But, like all club house rules and amendments, we are always open to changes and suggestions. Please let us know how your game works out.
Chris ;)

j1mwallace

Post by j1mwallace » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:07 pm

We just don't allow skirmish lines to cover units . Fixed . easy