Infantry Charging in bad going

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Sailor Tom

Infantry Charging in bad going

Post by Sailor Tom » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:00 pm

Hi Guys,
We attempted to refight the battle of Akendorf (French V Russians yesterday. The battle location is heavily wooded and the outnumbered French defence relies strongly on the ‘choke point’ these major but light woods cause.

As we read the rules as well as only moving at half speed, you are not allowed to charge enemy troops in the woods. This led to two French Battalions in line stopping a full Brigade in columns attempting to gain access to the (12 move limited) objective.

Are we missing something? We thought about charging unformed as a fix but wondered if there is a solution out there apart from the obvious form line and engage in a firefight for ever. Which doesn’t really help win the scenario!

Archdukek

Re: Infantry Charging in bad going

Post by Archdukek » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:28 pm

Hi Tom,
What makes you think that infantry can't charge units in a wood?
There is a specific rule preventing cavalry charging into a wood (point 10 on page 41) but I'm not aware of any restriction on infantry. Obviously they will be moving at half speed but they can still engage the enemy.

John

Sailor Tom

Post by Sailor Tom » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:58 pm

Good Morning John,
Many thanks for your reply. In the cold light of another day I can not find what made us both think that Infantry couldn’t charge to contact in woods!
Another senior moment obviously. Ah well back to rebasing my Sound of the Gun figures to General D’Armee ! Rules.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:40 pm

Hi Tom,
It happens. I was umpiring a game of Sharp Practice at the Club last night and found myself applying the rules for Chain of Command for the effects of firing at units in the open. Fortunately I caught myself before any damage was done.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying GDA. I hope the rebasing isn't too onerous. GDA is pretty flexible on basing and I've found that movement trays or sabot bases can be very useful.

John