charging?? help

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

stew

Re: charging?? help

Post by stew »

@fat wally: no problem, we're all learning the rules. at least you've played the game already...

however I should get in my first game this weekend. :D
Fat Wally

Post by Fat Wally »

Good for you. You'll really enjoy it. Great set of rules. Jack and I are playing a larger game of PC on Sunday. Expect another AAR mid-week.
stew

Post by stew »

alright, I've had 2 games now. great rules overall but charges are still confusing... last game we had a charge just like in the book in the example on page 37.... and got confused on the bit on page 39 part D, where casualties are distributed evenly as possible...

so let's have another example; 3 standard regiments charging in column..

C
B
A

against 3 in a line X Y Z resulting in

C
B
A
X Y Z

I assumed that X, Y, and Z would all fire at A, and then A really gets mauled going in but B and C are fine... however my opponent said that because of p. 39 part D, everything is spread out among A, B, and C.

so if X causes 1 casualty, Y causes 1, and Z causes 2 more casualties and an ET (for 4 total and 1 ET) I assume that this would distribute as C and B each taking 1 casualty and A taking 2 and the ET. that actually seems right.

but, now looking at the previous example in the thread of

A B C
X Y Z

and it's all one charge with supports, and lets say we have the same firing (X and Y causing 1 casualty, Z causing 2 and an ET); how does this distribute? I assumed that each defending unit would just fire at the unit in front of it so that A and B each take 1 casualty and C takes 2 and the ET (so X fires are A, Y and B, and Z at C). If C failed the ET and is whipped it takes off and deprives B of a flank support. OR is it all grouped together and distributed evenly as p39 part D says: so A and C each take 1 casualty, and B takes 2 and the ET being the lead regiment?

thanks for help! I honestly like it better the second way (with everything spread out) as it seems to make sense especially for charges done with a regiment supported just in the rear.

-Stew
DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

Stew,

Casualties are spread out as evenly as possible against targets that can be hit. (I should have added that!)

So in your first example pretty much all the casualties will go on Unit A, (though there is a possibility that units B and C could also be hit.) Any test in these circumstances should always go on the lead unit if it took casualties.

In your second example I think you've pretty much nailed it - units simply fire against the attacking unit directly in front of them. Any tests also being applied to the target unit.

Hope that helps.

DB
stew

Post by stew »

Ah, I understand. going to make going charging in with regiments stacked behind each other very hard, more worth it to spread out in a line.

thanks for replying!

looking forward to my next game.

-Stew
markantony

Post by markantony »

Thanks for this - I have a similar situation. An attack across a bridge, forcing the attacking brigade into column. The Bridge is defended on the far side by a Brigade, with 2 units in line facing the attackers and 1 unit behind.

C (not involved in the attack)
B (support for lead attacking unit)
A (lead attacking unit)

D E (Defending units - D is target of attack, E serves as Flank support))
F (rear Support Unit for D))

The lead attacking unit (A) is going to take a lot of hits, just like in real life. If they crumble, the chances are high that the support unit and the rest of the Brigade will get caught up in the fallout, causing the attack to quickly fail. So, as in real life, taking a Bridge is bloody hard (just ask General Burnside!)

Just want to check that I am correct with the following:

- The lead attacking (A) unit in column can benefit from one support unit (B, also in column) as it is within the allowed distance from the tail of the column
- The targeted defending unit (D) has two supports available in my example (E on the flank and F in rear)
- Casualties inflicted by the volley fire from both defending units should realistically be heavily loaded onto the lead attacking unit (as in real life) but I have a bit of latitude here!
. Any fire power (casualties inflicted) by the lead attacking unit would be reduced by 50% (as it is firing whilst in column) in the event of halt and volley result

In other words its going to be really tough to take that bridge. Just like in real life it would be important to try and soften up the defending units with artillery and volley fire as much as possible. And also try to use elite units to lead the attack (or have Brigadier attached to a veteran unit).

Hope I have got the rules right and haven’t missed anything!

-
Tony TRT

Post by Tony TRT »

Hi markantony,
The answers from top bottom;

-Yes,
-Yes,
-Yes,
-Yes.

Yes, taking bridges can be really tough and you didn't miss anything.

Regards
Tony
markantony

Post by markantony »

Many thanks ! This forum is so helpful !