Sharpshooters

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

dakkadakka

Sharpshooters

Post by dakkadakka »

So, I’m setting up the Bloody Lane scenario for my first game and have two questions. The rules say that small units and sharpshooter units may deploy in skirmish formation at the start of the battle, but cannot reform later. Units during the battle may adopt skirmish formation, then later reform (as circumstances permit).

First question - why would you want to start the game in skirmish formation, and lose the flexibility of reforming later?

Second - is there any difference between a small unit and a sharpshooter unit? Does being a sharpshooter confer any type of advantage over a “regular” small unit?

Regards,

Jim
Munin

Re: Sharpshooters

Post by Munin »

Starting out the game in skirmish order means you don't have to spend a turn shaking out into a skirmish line. You're already out and ready to fire at the enemy.

Sharpshooters are better than skirmishers in that they get to fire before they evade. They also move faster (20cm instead of 15cm). Finally, a unit of Sharpshooters being dispersed doesn't cause its parent brigade to falter.
dakkadakka

Re: Sharpshooters

Post by dakkadakka »

Munin:

Thanks for the reply - I forgot about the firing before evading rule.

I also misread the rule about deploying into skirmish formation at the start of the game being permanent. It appears that only applies to sharpshooters - not regular skirmishers.

Regards,

Jim