Melee timing - PC v GdA

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

dakkadakka

Melee timing - PC v GdA

Post by dakkadakka »

Been a GdA fan for some time now; and, I’m about ready to have my first go at PC. I noticed that in PC, any melees are resolved immediately after the charge result is rolled (before the movement phase); while, in GdA the melees are not resolved until later in the turn (after movement).

Since GdA came out after PC (I think?), I was wondering about the reason for the rule change. Has anybody tried resolving melees at the end of the turn in PC? I know there are rules differences between the two games in order to reflect the changes in tactics between the two periods. But, the melee rule change strikes me to be born out of a desire to change the game mechanic.

Regards,

Jim
DCRBrown

Re: Melee timing - PC v GdA

Post by DCRBrown »

J,

No desire to change the game mechanic, it was simply a reflection of the potential for far more melees in GdA, (such as cavalry melees, melees vs. villages, etc), as opposed to PC, where a melee is a rarity.

Hence in PC, it's generally only one melee at any one time, and that will only occur once or twice a game, therefore very easy to resolve in the charge phase.

While in GdA, melee has to take into account all the various melee differences between units such as lancers, cuirassiers, better mounted cavalry, Guards, artillery, columns, squares, etc, and all the possible variables that arise from those differences. Thus in GdA the potential for multiple melees is high and therefore far easier, and actually quicker, to resolve in a separate phase.

DB
dakkadakka

Re: Melee timing - PC v GdA

Post by dakkadakka »

DB

Very sound reasoning indeed - thanks for the reply. I have a couple of gaming buddies who I played the Quatre Bras scenario with. They like the GdA system overall; but, were a little overwhelmed with all the modifiers for the different troop types, the brigade skirmish rules, etc. I believe PC will be a perfect fit for them.

Looking forward to the release of O-Group. I feel they are going to be the perfect grand-tactical companion to my tactical level CoC! Plus, it gives me the opportunity to pull out my 12mm minifigs that have been sitting lonely in their cases for ages, just waiting to be played with!!😁

Regards,

Jim