Reforming Skirmisher and Fog of War

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

MarcusColenious

Reforming Skirmisher and Fog of War

Post by MarcusColenious »

Can a skirmisher unit reform behind a Fog of War card?

If yes, can the Fog of War card be a Phantom card?

Archdukek

Re: Reforming Skirmisher and Fog of War

Post by Archdukek »

Since I don’t use Fog of War cards this situation has never arisen. For what it’s worth my take would be that since skirmishers can only reform behind a friendly close order unit, you would need to place that unit on the table from its Fog of War card when the skirmishers fall back behind it.
They certainly couldn’t reform behind a Phantom FOW card since there is no friendly unit there for them to form up on.

John
MarcusColenious

Post by MarcusColenious »

Thanks @Archdukek.

To clarify, units under the Fog of War (Fow) card can be in any formation, which would include Close Order. So being able to reform behind a FoW card seem logical, but wanted to see what other people who use FoW cards thought.

As for the Phantom FoW card, I can see both sides... I think the intent of the rules is to fool your opponent as to where your forces are and to take fewer casualties when closing from a great distance (with the -2 firing modifier).
Tony TRT

Post by Tony TRT »

My two cents worth on this.

Can a skirmisher unit reform behind a phantom Fog of War card, No. The close order unit that the skirmishers reform behind must exist and they certainly don’t for a phantom Fog of War card.

Does reforming behind a Fog of War card expose the units represented by the Fog of War card?

Well, the rules for Phantom Fog of War cards state that;

“this type of card may only be deployed next to or within 10cm [6"] of either a card that is concealing actual units or figures physically deployed on the tabletop.”

So, if that is true for phantom Fog of War cards then it must be true that a Fog of War card hiding actual units can also remain hidden if it is within 10cm [6"] of figures physically deployed on the tabletop.

Therefore, it is my thought that the reforming of skirmishers behind a Fog of War card that contains close order units is not itself exposed unless it is within 30cm [18"] of the enemy and it is in line of sight.

Of course, it will reveal the fact that the Fog of War card is concealing real units but not of course the numbers or formation.

Regards
Tony