Unformed and Skirmish order

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

john de terre neuve

Unformed and Skirmish order

Post by john de terre neuve »

We had a great game of PC last night, we are testing out our campaign system, went pretty well but will need to make some changes to the post game process.

We had a couple of questions as follows:

Unformed units: Do they automatically become formed if their brigade does not get a Hesitant result in command roll or is it they are unformed until their movement phase when they use their movement action to reform?

Skirmish Order: I had not realised that all ACW units can go into skirmish order. So an unit starts the game in close order. Is it correct that it can use it's movement phase to go into skirmish order without any test. I do see that to go back into close order the unit has to fall back behind a friendly unit, but again no formation test regardless of unit classification.

For some reason I am having difficulty with the purple table on the QRS where most of this information is.

Thanks,

John

Tony TRT

Re: Unformed and Skirmish order

Post by Tony TRT »

Hi John,
To answer your questions:
Unformed Units: Unformed regiments may reform whether the brigade is obeying orders or hesitant (5th point from the top on page 32). The regiment reforms in the movement phase assuming that it does not move. Note the act of reforming is considered movement so if the regiment fires in the fire phase it will have a -2 penalty for moving.

Skirmish Order: Yes, any regiment may deploy into skirmish order. This is considered a formation change. How much of their movement they give up to change formation depends on the regiments grading. Elite and Old Lag have no penalty, Veteran and Regular lose half their move and green regiments lose all their move. There is no formation test unless the regiment is in rough terrain and this test is because the unit is moving in rough terrain.

Tony

john de terre neuve

Re: Unformed and Skirmish order

Post by john de terre neuve »

Thanks!