Solo Battles

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

stevey1112

Solo Battles

Post by stevey1112 »

Hello there,

I am very interested in these rules and wanted to try playing some solo battles with a view to creating a campaign.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what size forces you could comfortably field if playing both sides.

Do you spend a lot of time moving individual regiments or do they mainly move as a brigade?

DCRBrown

Re: Solo Battles

Post by DCRBrown »

S1112,

I think you could manage anything from 3 to 6 brigades when playing solo, especially if you are not restricted for time.

Movement is by Regiment and Brigade, so while you manoeuvre individual regiments they should all remain within their brigade structure/area and within command radius of their brigadier. Charges can be conducted by regiment or as a briagde using supported charges involving 2, 3 4 or even 5 regiments in one charge.

Hope that helps.

DB

karl1809

Post by karl1809 »

Hi stevey1112,

Solo gamer here, exclusively, and have used PC for nearly all my recent ACW games, fast, smooth and easily played.

As DCR said I have used 6 brigades for both sides ( 12 brigades) with varying Regt. numbers per Bde, 3 - 6 usually. It played very smoothly and quickly also. Being a solo player I am not hampered by time constraints, either for the game itself or individual moves. I can ponder upon a tricky situation at leisure or move along at a cracking pace as best suits. I personally found no difficulty whatsoever playing the game with 12 brigades. I game in 6mm with 30x30mm bases so Regts. are generally 3 - 6 bases each. I found once familiarity with the rules are gained they move along at a good pace and never get bogged down, as we know can happen ! I intend playing with even larger forces in the future. General d'Armee is still screaming at me for the Naps to be deployed lol. If I can be of any further help or assistance do not hesitate to contact me.

stevey1112

Post by stevey1112 »

Thanks for the very helpful replies Gents.

I have only managed to paint up 7 Regiments of the excellent 10mm GHQ Confederates so far but I now know what to aim for.
With your 6mm battles Karl do you still use the 15mm measurements?
I am increasingly of the opinion that you can't really have big battles in 28mm and I think 6mm,10mm and 15mm are the way to go.

karl1809

Post by karl1809 »

stevey,

7 regiments is good and a nice start to building your force. I am seriously drawn to the Pendraken 10mm's, they look amazing, so much better than the 10mm's I played Command Decision with way way back in the day.....they were 10mm blobs ! My real problem is I have large forces, in 6mm, based and painted, (I am a dire figure painter and avoid it like the plague) for all the periods I mentioned earlier in this post except WSS or even 7YW. If I go for 7YW I will never get them on the table painted so WSS is the period I am tempted to go for, Marlboro etc. I did it a long time ago in 15mm with Koneig Krieg (if you ever heard of them or even remember them) as part of a club operation, I got the Dutch, and it was great fun. Simple uniforms and easily played....what's not to like. I also really fancy a crack at a decent colonial game and again Pendraken have a marvelous range.

Thru the years as a club member I played some cracking games in 25/28mm, 1/72, 1/76 but they were invariably on a 12' table and multi player too. Thry were great fun but could be slow and unwieldy to play depending on the rules. I discovered thereafter the spectacle of the truly large game, in 6mm, Division/Corps and which after 20 odd years searching, the rules that allowed these type games to be played, properly IMHO i.e. V&B, BBB, BKC II & IV, Polemos, General d'Armee, Pickett's Charge and a few others which I found hit the sweet spot on playability, manageability and a good game all round. As a solo gamer now, for a long number of years, I am not constrained by time or game pressure. I play my games for the joy of them, to see what happened, what worked or indeed didn't and I still lose more often than I win :-)

Regarding measurements in PC, I went with the rules as written and used the 28mm distances but converted to cm's and found it worked perfectly well for me. I am not a purist by any means and if a game plays well and feels right I am happy.....from the TFL stable, BKC, Gd'A and Pickett's Charge hit it for me.

karl1809

Post by karl1809 »

Apologies, the TFL stable should have only included Gd'A and PC.....we all know where BKC comes from......fingers going faster than my head, I've been known to do the same thing on table too........many time :-) :-) :-)