PC AAR - The Battle at Molesworth Farm

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

MSG

PC AAR - The Battle at Molesworth Farm

Post by MSG »

Hello all!

After a run of GdA games (must get some pics next time...) my compatriot at the Molesworth Store Gamers felt like some ACW action. He bought us copies of Pickett's Charge and after a read through and how keen we were at GdA It was time to dust off my division of Rebs. Coincidentally in the month prior I had acquired with management's approval another Perry Battle in A Box and had started adding to my very small Union pile which had started when I got sick of painting butternut and grey. So after a week of furious painting whilst on leave (much to management's annoyance...) and more than doubling the Union forces, it was time for a game :D

So down at the old store, the table was set... It was looking like a Rebel Assault as they had the numbers and the USA reserve was still on the painting table up the road...

Stew took the CSA leaving me with the hastily painted and partially based USA, the Reb right looked ominous at the start and the opening long range salvos from the battery on the hill sent the 3 inch rifle battery heading for cover behind the US Cavalry...

MSG

Re: PC AAR - The Battle at Molesworth Farm

Post by MSG »

Soon the cavalry dismounted to cover the flank after the guns hastily retire under fire…

Meanwhile the USA sent skirmishers forward to delay the Reb advance and contest the farm complex.

MSG

Post by MSG »

And the Rebs issued a general advance across the both the fields on either side of the road.

MSG

Post by MSG »

It started getting hot in the centre as the lead started flying, if only the US artillery could hit something!

The Union was feeling good and had thus far checked the CSA with musketry in the centre and the Reb right was having some command issues slowing their advance. It was looking like an opportunity to push the Rebs back and the US right went to push forward... or not. Hesitant! Even with the re-roll...

MSG

Post by MSG »

At this point the US cameraman got too busy rolling dice and despite one regt from the US left whipping the CSA unit on the road driving them back, the CSA centre and left with support from their dismounted cavalry surged forward and pushed the US back across the line as it turned into a couple of turns of close firefights and melees (at this point we had a few units both retire away from each other, we changed these to step back moves instead as they didn't loose that hard and it looked odd with massive gaps in the line). The one victorious US unit from the left got ahead of themselves swinging round to help the US right who again became hesitant again leaving them out to dry as the CSA centre pushed into the now depleted US line and sent said unit packing...

The CSA kept pushing and despite a plucky US regt trying to sure up the centre it was too little to late as the CSA right started to make it's inevitable swing round through the dismounted US cavalry's delaying action in the woods. At this point the US withdrew handing a jubilant Reb commander the field.

All in all a very enjoyable game. I am now painting more Union troops...

cheers,

MSG
Munin

Post by Munin »

A good looking game!