Designing an ACW Campaign

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

john de terre neuve

Designing an ACW Campaign

Post by john de terre neuve » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:59 am

Myself and a friend are thinking about embarking on an ACW campaign using PC ruleset.

He has suggested that we take the campaign system from Longstreet (we played the Longstreet Campaign about 3-4 years ago and quite enjoyed it), but having a look through I found it quite vanilla in nature and with no historical basis.

I having been looking around and have come upon the Pea Ridge campaign (with some help from George A) and it looks quite managable (4 small divisions aside) where historically each army initially split off into 2 units and then joined up for two final battles. It would also be easily map based and in the lead up to the final 2 battles one could have several 1-2 division skirmishes. I can easily see how to apply attrition after each battle (ATSE process somewhat modified) but there will be no umpire.

I would like to end the campaign with the final 2 historical battles of Leetown and Elkhorn Tavern, but I am not really sure how to manage (force) this within the structure of a campaign without a umpire. I would plan to start the campaign at a point after the 2 armies have split into 2 units with 2 divisions each but not really sure about how to get from there using a map based campaign over a series of battles without an umpire.

Any thoughts,

John

Munin

Re: Designing an ACW Campaign

Post by Munin » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:50 pm

What is the part that would require an umpire? Are you trying to do double-blind movement? The best way to do that is to overlay or print your map on a piece of thick (preferably colored) construction paper and punch a hole in it where your army is. Have your opponent do the same - if you can stack your map on top of his (no peeking!) and see through it (holes line up), congratulations, your armies have blundered into each other and you have a battle! Multiple detachments equals multiple holes punched.

If you're really paranoid, you can each put a sheet of ordinary white paper on top of your map before stacking them (cuts down on peeking!). If the holes line up, you'll still be able to see through the two ordinary sheets, especially if you hold it up to a light. If the holes don't line up, the whole shebang should be thick enough to prevent any light getting through at all, thus preserving the fog of war.

To take things to another level, apply a random modifier to the total size of the forces each force has - for example, you may generally know that your opponent has roughly two divisions, but you didn't know he picked up a few extra regiments from another theater. Or maybe lost a few.

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:31 pm

Great idea, I really like it and I am not even paranoid.

Munin

Post by Munin » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:18 am

Whatever you decide, I look forward to reading about it on your blog!

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:42 am

As to how to generate the two historical battles, you could use a randomly generated event to oblige the forces to converge on those locations at some points urging the campaign. Perhaps an order from a Higher Command level to attack/defend the named point or news of the arrival of a supply convoy at the location which needs to be picked up or defended.

John

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:11 am

Thanks again, got slightly detoured yesterday by my opponent who has done quite a good job on adjusting the Longstreet campaign to PC. Ahistoric to be sure but I think it will be entertaining. I will post the adaptation on my blog in the next week or two.

I am still quite interested in working on the Pea Ridge campaign, as my preference is always to replay historic battles. I appreciate your suggestions.

John