Very Small Regiments

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

joe.harrison89

Very Small Regiments

Post by joe.harrison89 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:20 pm

Hi All,

Just wondering how to best model Jones' Division of Jacksons Corps (ANV) at Antietam.

The Stonewall Brigade is very under strength, it could only muster 281 men or 10 figures at my 1:30 ratio. That equates to only 3 bases for the whole brigade!

Other brigades in the division , apart from Stark's brigade, are also small and so will also need to be combined into single units.

I noticed that the the rules merge Wright and Cummings brigades for the purpose of the Bloody Lane scenario. Would you deal with the Stonewall Brigade in the same way, by merging with another brigade and if so, which one would you choose?

Thanks

Cold Steel

Re: Very Small Regiments

Post by Cold Steel » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:17 pm

You have to merge small brigades or change the scale of the game. For example, 10 CSA brigades actually fought in the Sunken Road at Antietam, but there are only 4 in the scenario. Colquit's and Mahone's brigades had been fighting since dawn and were both under 200 men by the time French's division attacked. Garland's brigade probably wasn't much bigger. Using Scott Mingus' excellent Enduring Valor scenario book as a guide, I would combine Winder's and Jones' brigades with Taliafarro's into a single brigade to face the dawn attack. By 10 AM, Jones' whole division was probably down to the equivalent of 6-8 bases.

Hannover

Post by Hannover » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:43 pm

When dealing with small regiments I always look at their actual alignment within the brigade and combine them with regiments that they fought next to. So for example with Rodes' Division the alignment in the Sunken Lane was left to right 26th AL.12th AL.3rd AL.5th AL.6th AL. so I combine 26th with the 12th and 5th with the 6th which is one of the few things that they get right in the scenario! Unfortunately with J.R.Jones' Division it is so small that brigades are the size of regiments and the actual alignment of the regiments within the brigade is generally unknown. This is why most maps of the battle show these units only as brigades. Therefore I would suggest the following for 1:30 ratio:
Grigsby's brigade 280 men 10 figures: 3 stands 4.3.3
J.W.Jackson's brigade (Taliaferro's) 540 men 18 figures: 5 stands 4.4.4.3.3.
Penn's brigade 300 men 10 figures: 3 stands 4.3.3
Starke's brigade - this is the largest brigade in the division with 760 men split into '2 regiments'
1st, 2nd and 10th LA numbering 450 15 figures: 4 stands 4.4.4.3
9th, 15th LA plus Coppens Bn numbering 310 10 figures: 3 stands 4.3.3
I generally use a 1:20 ratio as it just gives you more flexibility. If you are refighting the Sunken lane then the order of battle given in the rulebook omits so much that it is almost a work of fiction as opposed to an actual refight in that location. For a start Colquitt's brigade which is listed as complete in the scenario had been decimated fighting in Miller's cornfield and so only remnants of the brigade rallied in the sunken lane, occupying only about 100 yards of frontage. Also omitted is a lot of both Union and Confederate artillery which was fundamental in both repelling the Union attack, and the enfilading fire down the sunken lane that Tompkin's battery was able to bring that made life extremely difficult for the Confederates in the lane. I know it is only an introductory scenario of the initial attack but I think it is much better to refight the whole thing - and far more exciting especially if you have actually stood in Bloody Lane on the Antietam battlefield! If your interested joe I will fish out the whole scenario for Picketts Charge rules covering up to 1.00pm.
Hope this helps

joe.harrison89

Post by joe.harrison89 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:06 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for the breakdown.

Yes , I would be very interested in the whole scenario, that would be great.

Hannover

Post by Hannover » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:45 pm

joe.harrison89 please message me so I can send you the scenario as the details are too involved to post :D

joe.harrison89

Post by joe.harrison89 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:35 pm

Message sent 😀