Help with some questions please

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

m1kel

Help with some questions please

Post by m1kel » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:58 pm

1. So if I have a section firing at a hmg in the open, but the hmg is within two inches of a squad behind a wall, do I fire as if all in the open and share results. That is, use worst case cover?
2. If I'm attacking a town across the open by moving and taking cover with the last dice. If I get close enough to my target and want to fire to try to suppress them, do I only fire with two dice as I need to use the last one to go back into cover? Or can I fire and still be in cover?
3. A german squad makes the final dash to within 4 inches of the dug in Russians. The Germans count -3 dice for having used them to get to combat but manage to draw the combat and have to fight again immediately. Can they ignore the -3 this time and do both sides recalculate to allow for casualties and shock in the first round?

Sorry for noob questions but just getting started on the rules.

Vis Bellica

Re: Help with some questions please

Post by Vis Bellica » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:03 am

1) Roll the dice as if both were out in the open and add 2 for having more than one target. Look at the fire table. Let's say it was an effective range shot, and you rolled a natural 10, upweighted to a 12 because of extra target unit. That would give you 5P for an great shot, and 1 for a poor shot. I would therefore say the HMG gets a 4P result, with the squad behind the wall getting a 1P result. Or something like that. IABSM has a lot of tolerance for "that sounds about right" calculations. Relax: play the period, don't fret about being so exact.

2) Use a dice, you're a Poor shot; don't use a dice, you're an Okay shot.

3) Yes, yes.

Michel

Post by Michel » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:09 pm

answer to 3:

Don`t forget that in a ongoing fight the defenders don`t get any benefits
from terrain anymore.

m1kel

Post by m1kel » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:43 am

Thanks for clearing this up for me. I'll be back ;)
Mike